The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What turbo to run? MHI 20g or AGP 3147

sixsixtwo

Hey guys, I have two excellent condition turbos sitting in my garage, and I'm wondering which one I should go with in my Galant. I have a MHI true 20g and also a AGP 3147 t/3 turbo with a .63 a/r exhaust housing (got it off of an srt-4). I haven't really been able to dig up much on this specific turbo, since it usually isn't run on DSMs, but I have been told that it would work assuming I have the correct manifold/o2 housing etc. etc since it is essentially like any other Garrett t3 turbo. As I understand it I could also track down an exhaust housing that would allow me to bolt my garrett turbo up to my mitsu flanged manifold. I'm having some trouble tracking one of these down and I think I just need some guidance in general. Which turbo would you run and why? Cost and time is definitely a factor for me.

curtis

You can get a adapter flange that bolts to the manifold then the turbo bolts to it. Hahn racecraft use to sell them and ebay as well. I'd go Garrett, 20g's have a small turbine compared to the compressor and with a small shaft have a tendency to eat themselves. But thats my two cents I've had a few Garrett's then the schwitzer and now my new experiment. I just like big turbos they don't shock load the system as fast as a small turbo and pull harder up top, Not really sure which garrett you have post up some info measurements etc when you can.

Brianawd

AGP 3147 Turbo
Click to enlarge Click to enlarge
This is the very popular and proven AGP specific turbocharger. After years of perfecting wheel combinations, we now can offer a quick spooling, excellent performing 47lb/min turbo in a variety of flavors. Designed and built by AGP, this turbo is the way to go with your 4 or 6 cyl engine with power goals up to 470 horsepower.

Compressor Specs:
- T04B housing 3" inlet 2" outlet
- AGP Special Sauce compressor wheel 47lb/min

Turbine Specs:
- T31 4 bolt outlet turbine housing available in .48, .63, and .82 A/R ratios
- T3 5 bolt outlet turbine housing available in .48, .63, and .82 A/R ratios
- 76 trim Stage 3 turbine wheel
- 76 trim Stage 5 turbine wheel

We can set these turbos up with elbows off the compressor housing to assist in installation for your particular setup. We can also ceramic coat the turbine housing. Additional costs may apply.

Over the past two years, we have been developing and testing our own in-house built ball bearing CHRAs. With the Twin Ball Bearing option you will get increased durability due to our design that no longer needs a thrust bearing. You can literally beat the ever living hell out of one of our Twin Ball Bearing turbos and you'll be impressed. You will notice an average of 200rpm quicker spoolup of the TBB turbo over our standard bearing turbos, along with the increased thrust load capacity, and almost instant transient response. If you've got the money to spend, all of our testing pilots have said it's certainly worth the money. The TBB option adds a watercooled bearing housing with M14 threaded ports

I would go with the 20g or sell both and buy something else.

sixsixtwo

Thanks a bunch Brian for the turbo specs! With that in mind does anyone else have any opinions on what turbo I should run? How does the 3147 stack up against the proven 20g? Thanks for your input.

turbofonz

What are you looking for powerwise?

I'd run the 20g. I'm looking for one for my galant. Tried and true.

sixsixtwo

So 2-1 in favor of the 20g as of now. Anyone have any technical reasoning as to why one turbo is better suited to my needs than the other? My Galant will not be a daily driver by any means, I just want a weekend car that can rip through the streets. I'm well aware that the 20g is very proven, and it was my plan to run mine in my car until about a week ago when this 3147 more or less fell into my lap. Keep em coming!

curtis

Dual Ball bearing for one and a larger shaft for the other reason. I just found a site which says the greddy 20G flows 685 which divided by 14.47 I think is the close conversion leaves you at the same 47lbs a min as above Garrett. So its apples and oranges really the 20g may spool as fast or faster as the dual ball bearing but guaranteed the Garrett will pull harder up top with the .63 housing and the amount of heat generated will be less from the Garrett's compressor if comparing the 2 at the same boost levels because of power bands and eff maps of the two wheels. My schwitzer was so damn eff down low that at 17 or so psi the intercooler wouldn't even get warm on the hot side.

sixsixtwo

Thanks for the replies guys, keep em coming if you have any other thoughts! Curtis the Garrett turbo in my possession unfortunately is just a standard journal bearing one, I could only wish it was. I think in the interest of time I am going to go with the 20g for now. Driving my almost stock 2g has held me over for a few months, but I'm getting the urge for a little more than stock boost on a ported 14b. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif I'm gonna get the Galant put back together with the 20g for now since it will be the easiest for me to do, but I think at some point I'm going to have to try the 3147 out. What direction should I be looking towards to try to find a turbine housing that will allow my 3147 to fit on a stock Mitsu flange?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned