The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

question- Blue smoke from exhaust on 1st gen eclipse

I have a 1st gen eclipse. I noticed blue smoke coming from the back out of the exhuast. I though intially it must be a blown valve stem seals or somthing. But when I opened the hood I also noticed some smoke coming from around the turbo. Could a blown turbo creat oil burning in the exhuast and blow out the exhuast?

mikus

Yes -
a blown oil seal in the turbo CHRA would basically send oil down the downpipe. WOuld be a lot of smoke.

If the exhaust turbine housing or exhaust mani was cracked, or bad gasket between them, the same issue would cause smoke in that area.

thats what I thouhg, ill pull the turbo tonight and go from there. Thanks!

My experience with the Big 16g I have is, my seals were bad so i was getting oil in the exhaust, Jpipe where my air mass meter is, and the intake manifold, maybe ur turbo just needs rebuild. I had bluish smoke coming out of my exhaust. I now no longer see it so that was my problem. Did you check to see if there is shaft play? You could have a blown seal? Just my guess.

i'd have to check. Is there a good place to buy turbos or turbo rebuild kits online?

I highly recommend Turbo Auto they are located in Nashville, Tennessee. His number is (615) 383-6242. Give him a call.

mikus

Forced performance is still selling the Evo 16G for $500 too, good price if you can swing it.

They must have just bought pallets of those things....

if it were the valve stem seals can you replce them without removing the head?

Rausch

^ Yes, but it will require the correct tools to do so. Removing the keepers/retainers with the head still in the car requires a specific tool that is not cheap (I'm not sure of anywhere that rents one either). Also bear in mind that you'll have to either use air or some rope to support the valves in each cylinder to prevent them from dropping into the cylinder.

Brunoboy

Quoting 7112000vr4:
I have a 1st gen eclipse. I noticed blue smoke coming from the back out of the exhuast. I though intially it must be a blown valve stem seals or somthing. But when I opened the hood I also noticed some smoke coming from around the turbo. Could a blown turbo creat oil burning in the exhuast and blow out the exhuast?

This has and still is an issue with my car, smells bad smokes under the hood and throughout the exhaust..... There's oil in my turbo too............

^Turbo has bad seals, get a kit to diy or send it in to Turbo Auto in Tennessee. This was a problem with mine till I got it fixed (no more oil!)!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned