The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel smell troubleshoot

Gentlemen, I purchased 796/1000 several months ago (completely stock). The previous owner replaced the faulty fuel pump sending unit with a brand new OEM unit (and spent an arm and a leg for it). In doing so he ct the stock rubber hose and stripped one of the studs the bolt the sending unit to the tank.

Currently, I get a strong gas smell, the is stronger in the back seat than in the front seat. It gets worse as I drive. I've fixed the rubber hose (temporary fix, replacing all fuel lines this week). The stock lines are pressurized (ie no leaks after the pump). Could it be that the one stripped stud is what's allowing the fumes to escape? This isn't my first DSM, and I've seen cars run with two or three missing studs without leaking any fumes. Is there anything else other than the fuel send and return that's back there that I could check?

Also, any suggestions on what to do about the stripped stud? I've thought about tapping it to a thread size, any suggestions?

Thanks
-Lex

steve

Quote:
Could it be that the one stripped stud is what's allowing the fumes to escape? This isn't my first DSM, and I've seen cars run with two or three missing studs without leaking any fumes.

I had two broken studs and it leaked worse than fumes, it leaked fuel! I drilled out one of the missing studs, and slipped a bolt up through from inside the tank, held in place with some JB Weld. That gave me a new "stud" to work with.

Another place I've had fuel leak was from the injector o-ring. It got pinched during installation and tore the o-ring. Fuel was streaming out and puddling on the intake manifold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

1990ggsxnj

Yea, I've seen that happen a lot actually. That and just old leaky ones.

Fair enough. I'll try retreading that last stud. If I fail, I will just replace the stud with a bolt.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned