The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1990 trans in a 1992 galantvr4

whats going on everyone i need to know what i need to make a 90 trans work on my 92 galant vr4 cause i am stuck and need my car back on the road or can anybody help me cause i am really stuck i cant find any trannys for sale

1990ggsxnj

As long as the trans isn't out of a Galant GSX ;-)

Do you have the shifter and cables? Lemme know, I have a set that can be pulled and will be up there for the Holiday weekend.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the plate on the trans need to be from a 90 if it's not on there?

Struc

That's funny... then I guess I should rip out my perfectly working stock GVR shifter and cables, because I'm running a 90 trans? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Seriously guys... All you need is the cable bracket off of your 91-92 tranny. As long as the bracket matches the cables & shifter, you're golden.

Wizardawd

^agreed. It still isn't quite a perfect fix like swapping out the box, cables, etc. But it's a helluva lot quicker and gets it pretty close. 4 bolts and done.

Wiz

1990ggsxnj

Quoting Struc:
That's funny... then I guess I should rip out my perfectly working stock GVR shifter and cables, because I'm running a 90 trans? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Seriously guys... All you need is the cable bracket off of your 91-92 tranny. As long as the bracket matches the cables & shifter, you're golden.

Well if you know you're is working, than you would be an idiot to do that. Obviously we didn't know that differences wouldn't hinder the operation of the cables. If you're gunna give advice, be it correct or not, try not to sound like such prick. You may be "in the know" but that doesn't stop your responsibility to be respectful in what you say.

Anyways, if the bracket works, than it should be easier. Is he to find that there will be any binding or additinal stress caused?

Found this for ref: click

"Simply put:

90 tranny in a 91-94: All you have to do is swap the lever that is bolted on the tranny and the bracket that holds the cables on the tranny. Built in short shifting tranny."

Last edited:

Struc

Chill out man... It's called HUMOR. Try it sometime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On a side note, however - why get mad at me? I wasn't the one posting mis-information. Personally I'd be really pissed if somebody posted I needed to swap out my whole shifter and cables, and I went through all the effort to do so, and then found out later that was totally not necessary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

1990ggsxnj

I'm chill dude. And humor comes quick when it's pertinant. Just don't like when people walk over others just because those others don't know something. It's not cool. Again, it's not a problem with YOU but you could have said it differently. Slapping someone over the head negates a favor. Plus there's not only one way to do things..the first just may have worked for someone already which could be why they replied suggesting it.

Last edited:

The output shaft on the '90 Transmission will be a 22-spline shaft. Your '92 transfer case will have a 23-spline input shaft. You will need an older t-case (or at least the input shaft from an older t-case).

I am going to have 92 tranny available from my gvr4 in under two weeks if you want it I will pull and sell it to you. I have never driven it but it has 90,009 on it. If the splines are different just switch your output shaft with this one. Let me know via pm.

Ok curious . cause I'm gonna assume that the misinformation post is mine. Cause I said shifter cables and bracket. Let me just clairfiy this is what I was told by three tranny shops and DSM gravyard. The shifter and the bracket would have to be changed as a the simple adgjustment of the cables doenst work 100% of the time. Just would rather have him be safe than get it all in and the car can not go into reverse or 5th cause of the cables.. If this wrong again just what I have been told by the guys that do these swaps.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned