The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Speedo Quit Working

deez

Before I dive into this and try to fix it, what would cause the speedo to quit working? I pulled the speedo out, and the cable interface to the speedo looks fine. And I tried to spin the cable by hand and I couldn't, so I don't think its broken. I drove the car with the gauge cluster out and the cable did not spin. So where do I go from here?

ktmrider

Likely the cable broke or the drive gear off the tranny shredded.
Easy to check, the cable connects to the tranny at the PS rear.
BTW my cable broke last year, luckily had a replacement handy.

deez

Is the drive gear off the tranny part of the cable or a separate part?

ktmrider

Drive gear is inside the tranny housing.
Once you unscrew the cable cap from the tranny you'll see one bolt holding the drive gear in the tranny. Remove bolt and lift out for inspection.

deez

Damn, that thing does not want to come out! Any tricks, or should it just lift out?

Barnes

You didn't need it anyways.

Other than tap and rotate after you pull the 10mm bolt that's about it. That's how I've gotten mine out before.

fivestardsm

Quoting deez:
Damn, that thing does not want to come out! Any tricks, or should it just lift out?

Did you unscrew the cable from the gear unit first? you wnat to atleast make sure that you can unscrew the cable first because they can become corroded on to the unit. if it is, it will be a little more difficult to pull it out because the gear unit needs to spin to come "straight up" if you can get the cable off, then great. Now you need to just tap on it lightly with something to get it to twist back and forth. A little WD40 would help out or what ever lube you have. After it wants to move around, twist it back and forth while pulling up on it. It should pop up after a few twist.

If this isn't the cause of the speedo failure, then you need to check the cable. First see if it spins freely by hand. If so, spin the cable slowly with a drill. I say slowly, but it has to be faster then by hand. While doing that, have some one watch the speedo to see if it moves. "YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE IT IS SPINING THE CORRECT WAY!" I don't remeber if it goes clockwise or counter clockwise right off hand, but someone might know. What will happen if you spin it back wards with a drill is it will become un-calibrated. It is fixable, but a PITA to do.

You could pull the cluster out to see if the cable spins to avoid the possibility of spining it backwards.

Anyway, if all this is good, then you have a broken input on the gauge itself. It happens. They will collect condensation and rust out the springs and fall apart.

deez

I did pull the cable loose, and spun it by hand with the gauge out to see if the other end was spinning, which it was. so that means the drive gear. And with the cable off, bolt out, it don't wanna budge. Guess I will just have to beat the sh*t out of it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts