The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sticking EVo3 Bits into a VR4 EVO Gearbox.

kaptainballistik

Ok, Its being silly time.

Ive managed to get hold of some EVO3 Reverse Brake and 5th Syncro bits ( Including the steel fork and hub.)

Keen Viewers will notice the Vr4 gearbox has a different Reverse brake to the EVO3 so i grabbed the lot!

So the query is... That should all fit shouldnt it? ( I have been told a VR4 unit will fit a EVO3 so it should go the other way.....)

strokin4dr

Send a PM to Jack of Jack's Transmissions. He will be able to answer any questions you may have.

kaptainballistik

Well, for once it gets Better!

Ive got a "33" gearbox in my car! It all appears to be the same as the EVO gearbox , Except for the Shift forks.

So here is the (Next) question. Being a "Evo 2" spec gearbox, What do I have to change to make it the same strength as a EVO 3 gearbox?

Or if I change the shift forks and Brakecluch, Have I just made it into one?

Brianawd

1st gear is different on a evo 3. So is 3rd and 4th. 1st is taller with 3rd and 4th being shorter. If your going to rebuild your trans and add the evo 3/4 gear set you need to replace the hub and slider. It will also be a good idea to replace the intermediate shaft. As you don't want to have a old intermediate shaft with nice new expensive gears.

kaptainballistik

What I didnt add is that its a RS E38 Group N "Forest" box. Not sure if you need it any closer ( Its busy enough!)

If its just a ratio thing ( And not strength) Then the best idea would be to grab the Steel forks form a EVO3 ( Can get them from someone who has detonated a coupple...) Braze where the plastic fork pads are and put an extra at the top to stop cocking..

Its a "Bloomin Mazda gearbox" thing, Cant see why it wont work!

And Grab a EVO 3 "Forrest" box complete as a spare / replace

Now to figure if I can up the boost from 14 to 17 and still have a reliable gearbox....

Brianawd

Quote:
What I didnt add is that its a RS E38 Group N "Forest" box. Not sure if you need it any closer ( Its busy enough!)

If its just a ratio thing ( And not strength) Then the best idea would be to grab the Steel forks form a EVO3 ( Can get them from someone who has detonated a coupple...) Braze where the plastic fork pads are and put an extra at the top to stop cocking..

Its a "Bloomin Mazda gearbox" thing, Cant see why it wont work!

And Grab a EVO 3 "Forrest" box complete as a spare / replace

Now to figure if I can up the boost from 14 to 17 and still have a reliable gearbox....

If its a RS trans then I believe you have the 3.90 gears. So yes the gears will be nice and short. As for upping the boost from 14-17 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif. I really don't think you will have any problems. I'm running 30psi at the moment and my evo3 gears are holding up just fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kaptainballistik

Yup, 3.9 and no top end.... 190 on dirt is plenty fun ( Ever tried to haul a VR4 BACK from 190...NOT FUN!!!)

The Issue with gearbox life is it does up to 150KM per event at 14PSI, the weak link is supposedly 3rd gear as it puts power to the transfer case, Hence it is highly loaded.

Brianawd

Well the evo3 3/4 gear set is stronger. The are shorter but not by a lot.

click

If you have a evo3 trans then you need to change it to 3.90 gears if you plan on using it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned