The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

holset oiling

dsmtalontsi95

I know it's the latest thing (holset turbo's) but I'm still confused on how to feed it with oil. I've read this click but I still don't know what to use. Basicly I'm asking what to buy. I have no balance shafts and do have oil squiters on a freshly rebuilt block. I'ld like to feed it from the head but I'll do what ever. I can't be the only guy with no b.s. and runing a holset, so what are you guys using?

Awhile back I did the OFH port to bring the oil pressure down after the bs removal. I see 10psi at idle and up to 80psi at 7krpm. Before it was 25 at idle at over 100 at 7k. I put an oil pressure gauge on the turbo feed line from OFH to confirm. I am using a BG chra and based on the info I got from BEP, this is what they like. It also my understanding that you dont get as much oil pressure from the head. I havent done my own test yet so I dont have any numbers for you.

I dont know what kind of pressure you are going for, but I hope this info helped.

There is a bunch of holset info over on tuners, if you poke around there you should be able to find what you need.

Olson

via dsmtuners.com Click

dsmtalontsi95

I gave the link in my first post. No one states what to do with b.s. out with much detail.

85tr

There is tons of holset info on hondatech .

Olson

Quoting dsmtalontsi95:
I gave the link in my first post. No one states what to do with b.s. out with much detail.

oil from the OFH put a restricter in to whatever the oil pressure is on your turbo. (dsmtuners has that in the thread ) get -10an fitting from the turbo mount it to the pan but i say open up the pan hole so you have plenty of flow from the turbo to the pan. plan and simple.

Olson

I try :p havent done it yet but will in a month or so. im ordering the hx35 on monday i think.

chrisb33

feed it from the head. but even then, i believe you should put a restrictor on it. important thing to note also is that you should open up the port on the oil outlet. thats the cause of the flooding inside the turbo.

you can also feed it from the ofh but still needs a restrictor and open up oil outlet.

hope this helps

chrisb33

found this from my saved emails. this is from justin from the tuners. justin is famous for rebuilding turbo's and has tons of experience with holsets as well.

"Holset recommends a minimum of 19cm I.D. of your oil drain line. I honestly believe guys who use the -10AN fittings for T3 oil drains on their Holsets are the reason there are so many Holset dying. If the oil's trapped in the center housing and can't escape, it loads the turbine shaft and forces it to contact the journal bearings which means sudden death for the turbo....especially when a high-pressure, high-volume oil supply source is utilized."

hope this helps

This is how I hooked up the feed and return on mine if it helps

DSC02449.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned