The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

converting AWD to FWD tranny

hey everyone whats going on i need to know if i can convert my galant to FWD from AWD...what parts do i need i have a awd tranny which is pretty much the same and all so if anyone can give me some assitance it will be really appreciated

Muskrat

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you swapping in a FWD, or are you trying to use an AWD transmission in a FWD application?

Anyway, short explanation:

I think a FWD tranny will swap right in.

You'll need a welded center dif to avoid damaging the transmission if you're using the AWD transmission.

Just curious, why do you need it to be FWD?

Last edited:

fivestardsm

^^^Yes, please do tell...^^^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Is it an issue with the driveline? or do you just want to be different? or the trans went out, but you had you sisters boyfriends ex lovers mothers husband give you a FWD trans?

As far as doing it, you wouldnt have to do anything other than swap the trannies, and drop the drive shaft(s) out.

Last edited:

Gimpin

I aggree with all the whys ... swap to a fwd tranny and sell your awd if you really want a fwd. Dont forget when you swap from an AWD to a FWD you have to swap the fly wheel to a fwd

atc250r

Staff member
The AWD trans is stronger. That could be why someone would want to use an AWD trans as a FWD. Other than that I don't know why you'd want to get rid of the AWD itself.

John

Dialcaliper

Are you talking about a JDM Switchable setup, or just a FWD setup?

A lot of the transmission builders like Jack will build AWD transmissions with welded center diffs for FWD DSMs, since they hold up better than the FWD transmissions. A swap to the AWD shafts and clutch/flywheel is all that's required.

autobahntom

I have a switchable trans/transfer case for sale. $350 plus shipping for the pair. All you have to do with that one is move the levers on both and you go from awd to fwd or back the other way. That would be the easist thing to do, but I too am curious as to your reason for doing so.
Tom

well i have a fwd tranny laying around and i messed up my awd one so im just curious if i can put the fwd in with no problem obviously changing the flywheel..but i dont kno if i can use this tranny on my car i dont know what years will work or if it has to be a turbo fwd trans a n/t trans let me kno

1990ggsxnj

Why don't you sell the fwd tranny and put a few extra bucks into buying a used AWD. Depending on who you buy it from, you could come out even in price and still retain your AWD. My guess is it would be a lot more work. Since you would be removing the transfer case and drive shaft, the rear would be dead weight as well as the AWS, which could be removed at the expense of your time and patience.

It would be a hell of a lot easier just keeping the AWD, no?

How do you know your trans is shot? What's it doing, not doing? Is this your daily driver? Are all the gears messed or just one that you can get around without using until you get the correct trans? Could linkage be involved in your problem where the trans is fine? Let us know. I'll be up in Northern Jersey tomorrow and maybe can take a look at what's going on. Lived in Orange County for a year or so, know abouts where Pamona is.

Last edited:

yeah i believe the trans has a blown diff i found out today and i dont know what to do cause i dont have that much money on me and i want to just put a fwd trans in

frank1

Quoting gvr4315:
yeah i believe the trans has a blown diff i found out today and i dont know what to do cause i dont have that much money on me and i want to just put a fwd trans in

Why ? FWD if thats the case sell your car to someone who loves awd galants dont mess up a one of a kind car
Sell your car get a fwd dsm

If your tranny is broken am sure there someone here who can sell you one for a good deal .If you want to be cool and have the avantage of swiching awd to fwd Get the swichable tranny ( rare)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts