The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Starter sticking, whats the best remedy?

Starter sticks and shounds horrible when the car is turning on. Should I get a new one, rebuild mine, find another used one, replace just the solonoid....?

What are people doing with these?

Thanks

Hertz

Staff member
Whack it with a hammer.

I ended up replacing mine with a new Denso from G when my solenoid was sticking. So happy I did. I'm sure they're rebuildable, but if you had as many miles on it as I did, you'll get a big grin every time you start the car with a new starter. It sounds like money.

1990ggsxnj

I noticed that 1578 would do it all the time when I first got it. After a day of driving it, it went away. Has the car been sitting at all beforehand? May go away. If not, just replace it if it's too annoying for ya. I usually just wait until they die anyways.

fivestardsm

You can take it off and tear it down to lube the spline and internals, but be warned, you really need to pay attention when you tear it apart. There are some small piecs that you need to keep an EYE out for.

What ever you do, make sure you check the nose cone. They will have a tendency to wear out because of the bearing being bad. If this is the case then you will need to either have it rebuilt, or replace it.

I have seen a few like this, if you keep running it tho, you will end up chewing the teeth off from both the starter gear, and the flywheel.

1990ggsxnj

Yea, good point. Forgot about that. It never happened to me but has happened to plenty.

GIjoe

Quoting fivestardsm:
You can take it off and tear it down to lube the spline and internals, but be warned, you really need to pay attention when you tear it apart. There are some small piecs that you need to keep an EYE out for.

+1. That should do the trick.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned