The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Building a forward facing Turbo Manifold

VIDEO OF THE FIRST START UP.

Galant+VR4+Forward+facing+manifold

After seeing the STM manifold I have not been able to get my mind off of how cool that would look on the Galant. So finally my brother and I, got started.

Here is the Mock up.
1704090_600.jpg

1704088_600.jpg

1704089_600.jpg

Materials.

Custom One Off Head Flange - Brother CNC Machined it
1704087_600.jpg

1704084_600.jpg

1704085_600.jpg

1704086_600.jpg

304 SS Weld El's Sch 40.
click - acestainless.com
1704083_600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is a ghetto moch up of the pipes. We are just trying to plan everything out before we start tacking stuff together. So dont poke to much fun at the awesome blue tape /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

1704093_600.jpg

GVR-4

I've always wanted to do this on a Dodge Colt project car. My ideal setup would be a twin scroll manifold facing forward and a ball bearing turbo with a water to air intercooler setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Looks good. Keep us updated.

GVR-4

Oh, I forgot to mention, that flange is a REALLY nice piece!

CarRacer

Prison Rape Industries?

curtis

Flange is sweet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

curtis

And since I'm contributing to the design process I'll get you my address for a PRI flange. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Toybreaker sent me these a while back the car ran at the Pinks event last year in Colorado.

onesickcrx

Very cool I loved the STM setup. should be really nice when finshed

DarkDevilMMM

Quoting curtis:
And since I'm contributing to the design process I'll get you my address for a PRI flange. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Toybreaker sent me these a while back the car ran at the Pinks event last year in Colorado.

I love how well that engine bay looks but the exterior paint is all messed up. people won't even give a second look at the "run down" car until you open the hood and will be like HOLY SHi.......

and to OP, those are some really nice constructions. hope it doesn't suck in too many bugs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Quoting CarRacer:
Prison Rape Industries?

Yep it is an inside joke. My brother and I always try to mess around when building parts, and we figured it would be awesome for people to look at the manifold and be all "Prison Rape???" LOL.

This is our first run at building a manifold, so who know how it will turn out. I figure the material are pretty cheap, so for me it is a why not.

Quoting DarkDevilMMM:
hope it doesn't suck in too many bugs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We are going to cut out a K&N pannel filter to stuff in the grill, and just find some jimmy f*** way of attaching it to the turbo. So right away I am going to just use a sock as my filter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

curtis

TylerAdamson

Do you plan on back purging? What size turbo are you planning on running?

Quoting TylerAdamson:

I have no clue what that is. I have a Welder that I use. I can tack stuff together but that is about it. So I pay money to have it done the right way.

As for the turbo it is a 37r.

Acestainless FTW!

"Backpurging" is the act of filling the pipe with Argon gas, in order to completely "Purge" any oxygen remaining in the "Back" of the pipe.

This way, when you do your final welds, the puddle will be contaminant free, and ultimately increase the strength of the weld overall.

Ebay manifolds are thin-walled, and do not get backpurged, hence why they fall apart all the time.

Killer project!

TylerAdamson

Quoting TheBoz:
Quoting TylerAdamson:

I have no clue what that is. I have a Welder that I use. I can tack stuff together but that is about it. So I pay money to have it done the right way.

As for the turbo it is a 37r.

I was under the impression you and your brother would be welding it as well.

Looks like an interesting idea, I've always been a fan of the forward facing manifolds that I have seen. Please keep the thread updated with progress, I would like to see how it turns out.

I hate to jack, but you can get a cnc flange in steel or stainless from www.bmcrace.com

Them plus www.acestainless.com make great resources for building your own manifold.

However the "Prison Rape" brand flange *is baller! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts