The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cruise Control Not Working

I installed cruise control on my car once again because the previous owner removed it. I had to change the computer to get it working, or so I thought. It work when I tried it with the new computer, however the next day the light would not come one and when it did nothing engauged. So I screwed with the plugs and the switches on the clutch pedal and got it working again. Next day same thing, the light would come on but not engauge, and now the light will not come on at all? I'm lost, I have vacuum and can hold it with the accuator, changed the computer, and checked the pedal switches.

Any Help would be great.
Rob

cspetros

You can pull codes from the cruise control unit using the LED or Buzzer method described on this page(but using the CCU's pin on the diag port instead of the ECU pin): Pulling Codes

This page tells which pin to use, and what the CCU's codes mean: CCU codes, and meanings

There was some discussion a while back regarding a certain relay whose contacts erode over time. Here is that thread:

cRuIsIn' Fo' BrUiSiN'

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited:

I wanted to add, The red light always comes on, its the green dash light that I am refering to that is not coming on or that came on but did not engauge the cruise.

Rob

I did the input test as suggested and I have all input at desired times. I checked the little rubber things and they seem fine. The cruise (green) light came on again today but once again did not engauge. Now it will not come on again. As I said I have all the inputs and got no codes with the ingntion off. I did however have like 3 ohms constant when I tried to test for codes, is this the correct reading?

Rob

cspetros

The key has to be in the "On" position in order to pull CCU codes (You said the ignition was off when you tried). As far as having the engine running, I'm not sure. I would try it with the engine running, just to be safe. You can pull ECU codes without the engine running, but the key must be in the "On" position also.

Ok. The how to confused me a little there because it said ing on would clear all codes. I will take it for a run then try it while running. Or just with the ing in the ON position.

Rob

I re-read the codes with the ignition on and got a code 11 which is:

Abnormal condition of auto-cruise vacuum pump drive system (check the vacuum hose from the pump to actuator too.)

So I popped the hood and tinkered with the pump a little. I removed a small section of hose that was on the unit when I removed it from the other car. It was kind of worn out. Took it for a drive and it activated almost right away, and continued to, but it still throws code 11 and it surges instead of holding steady. When I bought the unit it opperated just fine and held stedy so I think I will try another vacuum pump and see what happens.

To sum it up to this point, I guess it was a hose issue but I did remove the little jumper hose on the vac pump to and fiddle with it a little before the last try so Im still a little lost on what was not allowing it to set.

Rob

Update

I thought maybe the little connecter I took out might be a restriction, and that may eliminate the surge, however it was as

big as the hose.

I replaced it anyway and once again the light would not come on (GREEN CRUISE). So I removed it and the cruise

would not work at first but then it started working, still have the surge! The hose seems almost too small as it was

difficult to fit it onto the pump (Would hose diameter make a differance?). It work 4 out of the 5 times tried.

I think perhaps I'll pull the pump apart after work tomorrow and clean it all up then go form there.

I'm Open for any Ideas you all have!
Do your cars surge? for instance the mani vacuum goes from about 15 to 0 and back.

Could this be a cable adjustment issue?

Rob

Update, Kinda:

Drove 2500 miles w/out cruise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif But have pretty much concluded it is the vacuum pump. the light would come on every time I tried and sometimes the cruise would engage but then would cut out shortly after it started working. So my next plan of action is to change it out and go from there.

I will repost the results so that others may use this information it the future.

Rob

mistaVR4

As far as your notion that it may be a cable adjustment issue, what type of condition is the cable in where of comes out of the protective foam and hooks to the clamps that come off the fuel rail? Maybe its getting caught up because the clamps are to tight, also thoroughly check the area where the cable attaches to the throttle body and make sure it moves nice and smooth when you manually pull the throttle down?? Just another guess....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts