The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Valve Train question

curtis

Ok when i first became a JSB I bought evo valves, springs and retainers, then later got another set sold them and now yet another. One change since then and now the crower 272's are gone and BC 280's have been put in the pile of boxes.
A local buddy of mine bought an replaced his stock evo stuff for a set of the ti retainers and springs. The machine shop tested the old ones and only saw like a 3 lbs increase on spring pressures. This and he went to a non beehive and the ti retainers which are heavier and don't stand up to RPM's like the beehives. Now for those that don't know the factory evo retainers are micro grams its scary how light they are.
I'm not selling my springs and retainers for a 3 lbs increase thats why they sell shims. I've been reading around and lots of places say 95 lbs closed on the seats for there builds where 65lb per hour turbos at 30psi plus are used. Just wondering what others on here are running for closed and full open seat pressures and is anyone else running the 280's that can give me an idea of max power in RPM's still need to call Jeff for chip expertise and need an RPM rev limit. Not that Jeff doesn't know just wondering now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But I did see that FP sells beehives without retainers for 220 they say it increases RPM limit from 8K to 10K.

and GSC has them for 215 and have these specs
* Spring Pressures: Seat @ 1.56"=68 lbs
* .300"=160lbs
* .400"=190lbs
* .450"=210lbs
* .625"= Coilbind.
There set with retainers and chrome moly seats takes the RPM's to 12K which is just shiming...Discussion below.

Rausch

I'll throw my numbers up when I get home: evo parts in the head I had worked. Should give you a good average. I have all the #s, so it should be what you need. You'll have a PM.

chucklesas

I'll be watching this thread as well. I've tracked down some FP3X cams, and was curious what kind of valve spring forces I should be looking for. I'm even trying to come up with what the dual-valve spring values were compared to the beehive springs. Several of the DSM shops I tried to look for these numbers, but they don't list them for some reason. I'll probably have to start calling to get the specifics.

The Kiggly are something like 97 lbs installed and 325 lbs/in. click
I have no idea what the dual valve setups were rated at, it was looking like it was in the 200s. I still have no idea what I would need to run the 3X, I'm not looking to rev this thing to 10000rpm, or even 8000 for that matter.

I'd still like to see the values of the different dual spring setups, single spring setups, and the bee-hive all on one chart.

prove_it

do you really plan on running past 8500 on a 4g63? even on our dyno queen evo with a 72 mil turbo at 40 psi power started to drop after 8500 with kilford 282 cams and a cosworth head. I can't remember what valves and springs we used.

chucklesas

Well, I just called FP. They designed their Beehives to work with the 4R cams, which need 240lbs over the nose and are good to about 9k rpm. They said their 3X need at least 250lbs over the nose and wouldn't recommend their beehive setup with the X grind cams.

prove_it

With spring pressure that high, what retainers work best? I've seen a couple of titanium retainers break with high pressure Honda B series springs. Also what about the valve seats, are the stock metal strong enough to handle it?

Rausch

Bumping this up.

The Ebo springs in my head spec'd out at 64# @ 1.530 for the record.

I also was reading a bit on the retainers recently, a few places (The guys from GCS) it noted that the Ebo retainers are actually Al FWIW.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned