The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Seized up Evo3 16G after ~1300 miles

4thStroke

Weird thing happened today. I drove the car easier than normal, took a friend for a quick ride, headed home and let it see some boost a few times... 37ish psi (spike). Thats how Ive been running it the whole time. Got to a friends house and shut it down for 30 minutes or so. I did let it idle for a while before shutting it down.

On the drive home, I gave it some gas and there was no boost at all. Got home, checked things out, made sure the wastegate wasnt stuck open, ect. Pull the intake and try to spin the blades with my fingers, nothing! Its seems to be seized up.

There are about 1300 miles on the turbo. Still clean, the blades on the cold side were not chipped up (thank goodness).

I didnt hear anything abnormal, oil level is normal, car didnt overheat, nothing at all out of the ordinary.

Did I kill a brand new MHI Evo3 16G in record time?

I wasnt expecting it to last me years with a pulled wastegate, but seriously, 1300 miles?

turbowop

Even if it's just a spike, that thing has to be spinning like mad to hit 37psi. Where are you feeding it oil from? If I had a smallish turbo spiking like that I would want oil directly from the OFH. The head feed is ideal for ball bearing turbos and smaller jourmal bearing turbos like the 16g, but that's a pretty high spike, if even for a quick second.

1990ggsxnj

^^^Agreed.

When I saw that I was like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif...
That is WAY out of the efficiency of any 16g. If it's only got that many miles on it, I'm sure it's under warranty but if you were still using the oil supply from the head and not fresh oil from the oil filter housing, than it's more probable than not that it was seized up that last time you spiked to 37 psi. On a better note, if you are actually capable of that level of boost, turn it down to 32-34 on a larger turbo and you will probably gain performance with a little retuning and save $$ on not buying so many high RPM paperweights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I would also check and make sure you have no boost leaks and your BOV is working properly. Both can kill a new turbo rather quickly.

Last edited:

4thStroke

Oil is coming from the head. There are a handful of guys running the 16G with no wastegate and getting similar spikes, I guess it was bound to happen. Didnt seem to be any boost leaks, the Forge bypass valve has been doing fine.

Now... rebuild the 16G or go 3052? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Obviously, one route is going to cost a lot more than the other.

turbowop

Lucas tuned your car, right? The same guy that has the record for highest horsepower on a stock Evo9 turbo using E98 and no boost controller? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Lucas is pretty badass and while I don't doubt his tuning abilities or the fact that you can make a shitload of power with ethanol and lots of boost, it has to be pretty damn hard on the turbo to turn those numbers and to spike that high while doing it. Time for a bigger turbo, dude. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:

Brianawd

37PSI spike is not going to kill a turbo. You have to remember that the 37psi spike is only for a few hundred rpms. Most all turbos are balance to 250,000rpms. On a 16g that is making full boost(around 28psi) you will see a shaft speed of 100,000rpms So a spike to 37psi is going to be under 250,000rpm's. It it had gone over the 250,000rpm the the turbo would end up being out of balance and start hitting the walls. What it sounds like is the turbo died from lack of oil. Maybe from turning the car off to soon or not getting the right amount of oil from the head. Just get a new 16g. MHI has a 1 year warranty on there turbos from the factory

turbowop

I don't work for FP or any other turbo company so I guess I'm no expert, it just seems to me that over-boosting a 16g like that would shorten its lifespan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I agree that it shouldn't have died so soon even under those circumstances though.

4thStroke

I got the turbo out. There are a couple of knicks on the cold side blades, nothing that I would think would do any damage, really. The hotside looks perfect, but its completely locked up.

It didnt even seize up during a pull, I would think it would stop spinning under load, but I guess not.

I'll give Lucas a call tomorrow and talk with FP as well.

Jake over at English is puting down 450whpp and 510tq with the same turbo, that thing has been abused (more so than mine) and is still ticking.

Warrenty coverage = new 16G. No warrenty coverage = 3052.

For some sick reason, Im almost hoping it isnt covered /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

Quote:

Jake over at English is puting down 450whpp and 510tq with the same turbo, that thing has been abused (more so than mine) and is still ticking.

Is that the DSM with the auto trans? Jake was driving his red Evo on HRR. I don't actually know who owns the auto DSM.

Brianawd

click

Also ask about the FP3082R HTA. Uses the 30r exhaust wheel with 82mm compressor wheel from the gt3582r HTA. Last I read is it will put out 70lbs/min. You have to run 2psi more boost than the gt3582r hta to get the 70lbs/min but you get better spool that the gt3582r HTA.

Last edited:

4thStroke

Not Jake, I meant Zach. Its one of the grey 1gs they have, 5 speed.

Brian, you like the DSM76 over the 3052? I still want quick spool and Ive heard a lot of good stuff about the spool of the 3052.

Brianawd

Quote:
Brian, you like the DSM76 over the 3052? I still want quick spool and Ive heard a lot of good stuff about the spool of the 3052.

Don't get me wrong I love my FP3052 but the compressor wheel is outdated. With the new HTA wheels you get the same spool if not better and more mid range power. But now that FP is going to do the FP3082R HTA its a hard to pick one. FP3076R hta will get you 57lbs/min and hold 40psi to redline. FP3082HTA will get you close to the same hp #s as the FP3582HTA but with fast spool.
FP3052=Really fast spool with good hp
FP3076HTA=Supper fast spool with good HP
FP3082HTA=little slower spool with will killer HP #s

4thStroke

I might have to consider the DSM76, then.

Is that 3" o2 housing really needed over the 2.5"?

Whats the 3052 flow, anyways?

Last edited:

Brianawd

I have the 2.5O/2. Don't think its really that big of a restriction to me. As for the 3052 52lbs/min

Scientist

I'm waiting to see how my 3065 Performs....if I don't like it i already spoke to FP about upgrading to an HTA

Quoting 4thStroke:
Jake over at English is puting down 450whpp and 510tq with the same turbo, that thing has been abused (more so than mine)

On an EVOIII 16G? 510 lb/ft? Holy crap.

4thStroke

Yeah, we see some pretty nutty things from them around here. He trapped 125 a couple weeks back. He was sand baggin that run so his ET was up (12.2), but the trap was pretty impressive.

On that same dyno, I put down 430hp 417tq and went 12.0 at 117.

Im going to send in the turbo for warrenty, sell it, and go DSM76 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned