The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2g lifters

The_Big_Weave

I got my hands on a set of 2g lifters came out a 99 gst and they have the 3 mm port on the top. is that normal? this car was bare bone stock. did they do something with the 99 lifters that were any better? JW if i should put them in the VR4 while the head is off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

prove_it

It's possible in a 2g. There are differences in the 99 models. Maybe that is another one of them. if they are clean and you can bleed them down first then I'd say use them.

gvr4ever

They sound like the revised lifters that people often call 3g lifters. If the whole in the top is bigger, then it's better.

They still end up ticking though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

prove_it

good point. I rebuilt my engine and kept my stockers cause either way it's noisy just not as bad.

prove_it

Quoting The_Big_Weave:
how do you bleed lifter?

get a whole box of paper clips, when I did mine i broke several. Just bend a clip so it's long and poke the center of the hole. you'll feel it pop and you should be able to move the tip. It's not much, but oil will squirt out.

This will prevent the valves from opening too much and bending your valves. It will be noisy for a few minutes bet it will quiet down.

prove_it

anytime before you install them. It's not common to bend valves, but it takes about 20 minutes to bleed them so why chance it.

Anytime you install new or different adjusters, I highly recommend bleeding them. If your just pulling them out and reinstalling them right away and you didn't change them or their locations then you should be fine.
Also when changing cams it's a good idea too. Lifters can extend while they sit without pressure against them and that's how valves bend.

1990ggsxnj

Yea, I usually always bleed them if they've been out. Get them all nice and clean inside as well to break up whatever may have build up. Usually first gen lifters have to be soaked for a while to break up any larger sludge that may get caught up, but 3g lifters are less prone.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned