The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Will not shift into first or second?

As I am going through my final checks before final assembly I jumped into 1302 to shift it through the gears. I cannot get it to shift into first or second. It will shift into third through reverse no problems, but I cannot get the shifter to move over into the first of second position. Now I was told that it could be the shifter cable bracket that bolts to the transmission, and it could also be the cables, or it could be an 90 model transmission. My question is how do I tell if the transmission is a 90 model or if the cables and bracket are wrong? Here is how my cables look as of right now with the bracket bolted to the transmission.

Here is a close up of the bracket. It looks to me as if the cable is binding after it leaves the bracket and heads towards the transmission. The other pics are different angles to give you guys and idea to point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for the help.
DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

GVR4_1057

It looks like your cable stop brackets are maligned. The last bit of cable is solid steel rod so it can push. It looks like this part is being made to try to bend and binding up. Try to adjust (by bending slightly with a crescent wrench) the stop bracket so that you have a straight shot toward the lever on the transmission. The top pic shows your biggest problem.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Click here for shifter differences.

Now I feel like such and idiot. I was sitting there looking at the bracket for the cables and since they were already attached to it I thought they were on there right. Well I decided just for the hell of it to turn the bracket around.......what do you know, I now have all the gears! Sometimes you just need to walk away from it for a bit to figure it out.

EDIT: Seems my bracket is way to messed up to work. After I attach the cables I have 1-4, 5th pops out, and my car is JSB right now and it pops outta 5th... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif since I have to go to the bone yard tomorrow for a valve cover i will get another bracket while I am there.

Last edited by a moderator:

1990ggsxnj

Did that on my eclipse GS. Swapped out a trans after realizing the person before me put the bracket on wrong...so young...too stupid to check the simple things first...

well, i got another bracket, tried it both ways and still nothing, so I decided to run the numbers on my transmission, turns out I have a GSX transmission from 90-94 (NPXV) Thanks to the search button! LOL Just need me some new cables and the right bracket

Last edited by a moderator:

1990ggsxnj

What size bearings are those? I went to a shop but they said there are different sizes. Seems cheaper and a whole lot better than just bronze inserts.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts