The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Driveline Noise

1990ggsxnj

Alright, I will try to be as descript as possible.
There is a grinding/growling noise when driving. It's speed sensative but does not increase or decrease on turns (plus I checked to see if any wheels were loose and none were) so wheel bearing is ruled out. Brakes are fine, nothing frozen or scored. There is no more or less noise on accel or decel. The noise sounds like it's coming from the front in my perspective but my questions are, has anyone had the front cv carrier gone bad? What does it sound like? Does the Driveshaft carrier sometimes sound like it's coming from the front of the car by resonating through the body? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I only have two jack stands at the moment so I can't get the car up to check with my own ears. Plus I have to wait a couple weeks until I have the $$ to get another pair.

Any experiences with these two would be great. Even for an FYI.

Thanks!

Last edited:

14u2nV

Could be wheel bearings, cv joints, trans, transfer case, u joints. There's a lot of things to check.

1990ggsxnj

I did notice both cv's were torn and had only a small amount of lube left.. but will this make a growling noise?? I only ever heard them make clicking noises.

prove_it

your wheel bearing can still be making noise even if they are tight. One thing some people don't realize is that different road surfaces can make different tire noises. Some can sound like growling.

If your drive over concrete versus asphalt you can tell. If you still have the noise and it sounds the same when you turn the wheel back and forth at over 30 mph then you may have a transmission output shaft bearing, or a differential bearing going out.

Check your trans fluid, transfer case fluid, diff fluid, tire pressures. if they are all good, you may need to head to a shop that has a chassis ear so they can pinpoint the source. Sometimes it's easier to pay someone to diagnose things like this and fix it yourself.

Sometimes noises that sound like from the front, can actually be from somewhere else.
My two cents anyway. Good luck!

prove_it

Quoting 1990ggsxnj:
I did notice both cv's were torn and had only a small amount of lube left.. but will this make a growling noise?? I only ever heard them make clicking noises.

Axles typically click, I've never heard them growl. bearings growl.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts