The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Can this head be saved

14u2nV

This is one I broke a while back, and I've been hanging on to it to rebuild. After reading the other thread regarding the same issue, I'm now questioning whether this is worth keeping. The dings are pretty good, can they be smoothed and be fine?

If it's not worth it, I'm pitching it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

bigblock4g63

i had a head 10x time more f* up then that. and a rebuild was only $350.00 local here in jersey

14u2nV

cool. I really hated the thought of throwing it out just for that, but I've never had any machine work done so I didn't know.

Kenny_Kline

usually they just weld aluminum into the head and grind down to the correct shape. Its fixable if the machine shop knows what they are doing and cant weld aluminum correctly

14u2nV

Well, when I get to the point I'm ready to have it rebuilt, I'll pay to ship it to someone good if need be. That'll be a while though. I'm just cleaning the garage and getting rid of what I can't use.

curtis

Give Chris aka Boostin Hard a yell when its time. His machine shop has the skills needed but definitely want to magnaflux and pressure check for small cracks that can end up being a heated water injection system. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

curtis

Almost 12 hours and only one of you caught it...You can't magnaflux a non ferrious material. ..........Toybreaker wins the I pay attn award 2009.............

Dialcaliper

Usually they'll use a regular liquid dye penetrant on aluminum instead. Basically a thin liquid dye that wicks into any cracks, highlighting them after the excess is wiped off. Sometimes for stuff like this, they'll use a clear UV sensitive "dye-pen" (or DPI), The advantage is that in a dark room under blacklight, cracks show up as glowing lines, plus you don't end up with permanent red stains on the part in question, especially if it's cast.

Magnaflux is essentially the same thing, colored or UV, except that by applying a magnet on magnetic materials like steel or iron, the dye concentrates at areas with cracks, so it's a more reliable test. Magnaflux can also be done with dry powders instead of a liquid dye.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting 14u2nV:
Well, when I get to the point I'm ready to have it rebuilt, I'll pay to ship it to someone good if need be. That'll be a while though. I'm just cleaning the garage and getting rid of what I can't use.

No need to ship. Bring it to Nolan's like I've mentioned before. They are downtown and do quick/CHEAP work.

Quoting 14u2nV:
This is one I broke a while back, and I've been hanging on to it to rebuild. After reading the other thread regarding the same issue, I'm now questioning whether this is worth keeping. The dings are pretty good, can they be smoothed and be fine?

I believe this is the other one that you were referring to. Any thoughts on being able to save this one?

head.jpg

ktmrider

Eh, would cost more to fix than to buy another head.
Unless you got some good port work and/or oversized valves find a good core for $50 plus shipping all day.

curtis

Not saying it can't be fixed but thats alot of welding and machining that some shops may not want to touch, If it was a ported head I would fix it but being that you need guides and seats on the one cylinder at least I'd see if I could find a junkyard head thats good and rework it. It would just bother me that it looked that bad and I'd be constantly wondering if it had a crack in a water jacket etc.

That was my assumption all along. Thought I'd post it up for fun though.

If you think that head looks bad you should see the piston. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts