The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

still no boost

Brunoboy

well I just replaced my actuator because the last one didnt even open at 15psi or anything. well I just put it on, and I get 4 psi and a LOUD screeching noise when boost hits. I hope its not whine of death. can it be anything else?
-shane

Brunoboy

seemed to be the bov. lol.........

Brunoboy

nevermind, i replaced the bov, still hear it screeching badly, maybe from the turbo

524of1000

pull off the intake pipe and check the compressor for shaft play, bent fins, ect. Maybe copressor is scrapeing the inside of the housing? If thats all god, maybe the turbine or lack of lubrication in the center cartridge? Just some ideas...

Tre3zy

thanks for that, i have checked for play, and no in and out, but very lil side to side., ive thought about that lack of lubrication too........

dsmguy3

Did you check for a boost leak? Just an idea. I had a loose throttle body elbow and the gasket would flap back and forth creating an awful noise.

ktmrider

From the noise you are describing it sounds like a broken shaft on the exhaust side or loose wheel nut.
Last guy had to take the exhaust housing off to diagnose as the side/side and in/out play felt OK to him too.

Brunoboy

aww geez, that means replacement right?

1990ggsxnj

Most likely, but check first. When I turbocharged my Eclipse GS I had a used turbo which seamed fine. Very slight movement when I checked the compressor side. Boosted for two days and then a huge cloud of smoke. Seizure caused the turbine shaft to SNAP. The Turbine wheel came flying off with some of the shaft and I started sucking oil into the exhaust. My Intercooler also filled almost completely with oil. My suggestion would be to pull that hot side and check it before something worse happens than just needing to replace the thing. At least you would have had a warning.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned