The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Getting angry with car stalling

deez

so I have been struggling with the car stalling at stops for some time, and now I am over it. Its worse when the motor is loaded, such as running the lights, and real bad when running the AC. It died every stop today with the AC running. I have replaced the speed sensor, checked the idle motor, no boost leaks. The list of mods is at my link below, but its your typical E16G,FMIC,HKS 264/272, 3G MAS, Keydiver chip, safc, 720's, etc. I am on a mission now to fix this, no matter how pissed I get. Throw me any guess you might have. I need my AC, its going to be 103* this weekend.

ktmrider

My car had similar issues, the problem went away after I replaced the alternator. Since your issue happens with a heavy electrical load that's were I would begin.
Do a quick voltage check with the car running ( no load/lights then loaded ) across the battery. Should not see the voltage drop below 13v. Also check for AC at the battery, should be less than 0.25v.

GVR4_1057

Is your coolant line removed from the tb? If so did you block the FIAV passage? I had simmilar problems with mine and even though the ISC had good coils it was still giving me problems. I replaced it with a new 2G black ISC and now my car idles perfect and never shuts off. Also maybe try the BISS setting procedure.

deez

the coolant passage is still hooked up. And as for the battery voltage, the gauge looks to read in range, but that may not mean anything. Now, when you test for voltage, I assume its above idle to get 14v, not at idle? And you are checking it right at the battery?

Lonewolf64

I'm watching this thread as well. I believe it has to do with my close throttle switch not being properly adjusted causing a rich condition when the throttle plate closes and the injectors do not turn off. It happens to me when I'm coming to a stop and put the clutch in at low rpm right before I stop.

turbowop

Quoting GVR4_1057:
I had simmilar problems with mine and even though the ISC had good coils it was still giving me problems. I replaced it with a new 2G black ISC and now my car idles perfect and never shuts off. Also maybe try the BISS setting procedure.

I'll +1 to the ISC comment. On 503 the coils tested out good, but when I swapped in the ISC from 1051 and zeroed it out it solved some idle issues I was having. I ordered a new one through Rock Auto and haven't had any issues since.

Try to find a buddy with one you can borrow just to try it out. It's easy enough to swap them, so shouldn't be a big deal.

Armitage

I was having a stalling problem recently so I pressure tested the vacuum system. Turned out the hose to the EGR had blown off so I had a moderately big boost leak as well as a non-functional EGR.

1990ggsxnj

I've seen some mods but no mention of BOV recirc. What maf setup are you using?

deez

The bov is recirc'ed, and I am using the 3G mas. Keep the ideas coming! I want to run my AC without it stalling!

Have you tried adding any extra timing advance temporarily, by advancing the CAS a few degrees? Just stay out of the throttle for the test.

deez

I did try that, then I got knock. I am at about 3* with only occasional part throttle knock

That's why I said "stay out of the throttle". How does more timing affect the stalling? You are at 3*, which might be aggravating the situation. I can always recurve the maps to have more timing at low airflow/load, and less under boost, if more timing helps the stalling.

deez

Gotcha. Now stock timing is 5*, correct? Would you recommend starting there, or go more aggressive since I have cams?

I'd set it at 7*, just as a test to see if it helps with the stalling. Just stay out of the boost.

deez

Monday when I have time to work on the car I'll do that. And check the voltage to the battery, if I can get spec of what that should be at idle.

brisvr4

Can you log your tps? I had a stalling issue which turned out to be the tps only returning to 11 - 12% instead of 10 when I was stopping at lights. For some reason the car didn't like to idle at those levels and would stall.
Mine turned out to be a slightly sticky Throttle body.
Once I got it sorted out it never stalled out again.

ktmrider

Quoting deez:
And check the voltage to the battery, if I can get spec of what that should be at idle.

Hey deez, sorry for not answering the above question.
Modern alternators "should" output 14v even at idle. Here is a great link explaining the reason click
Generally the electrical load test will tell you how good the windings are, AC test tells you diode health, and total voltage shows regulator operation.
Oh and on the TPS if you use a logger the reading should be between 11-12%. Do the math, 0.63v/5v ( target output by total TPS voltage range ) = 12%.

Last edited:

deez

K, so I need to log my TPS, try the timing at 7*, and take the car down and have the alternator checked out. Anything else?

deez

Is the ISC the same as the idle air control valve on Rockauto's site? I can't seem to find something called an ISC there

Quoting ktmrider:
Oh and on the TPS if you use a logger the reading should be between 11-12%. Do the math, 0.63v/5v ( target output by total TPS voltage range ) = 12%.

As I've explained before, the .63 volts is a 2G spec. 1G cars it is .45-.55 volts, 9-11%, a much tighter spec than the .3X-1 volt range a 2G can be set for some reason. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts