The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Logging with Iphone

14u2nV

ok, a while back I bought the app for my Iphone that lets you connect to OBDII cars and log all info. Rev

Now, I asked them back then if they were going to do OBDI and they said they were considering it, but it was much harder. My thinking is that if someone got it to work on PDA's, why can't someone get the Iphone to do it? To use the App I have, you have to buy the blutooth adapter that connets to the diag port (which I don't have yet). Does anyone have the knowledge to make it work? I just think that with everything the phone can do, why can't it do something as simple as a pda program? Is it possible that the person that actually made the pda program could figure it out?

NateCrisman

MMCD on iphone would kick ass. Then I could get Hak from DS-map to fudge it to record speed density logs and all would be well.

464/2K

Innovative has made something like this. Ill post a link later, sorry cant copy paste on iphone

Andy_S

Quoting 14u2nV:
ok, a while back I bought the app for my Iphone that lets you connect to OBDII cars and log all info. Rev

Now, I asked them back then if they were going to do OBDI and they said they were considering it, but it was much harder. My thinking is that if someone got it to work on PDA's, why can't someone get the Iphone to do it? To use the App I have, you have to buy the blutooth adapter that connets to the diag port (which I don't have yet). Does anyone have the knowledge to make it work? I just think that with everything the phone can do, why can't it do something as simple as a pda program? Is it possible that the person that actually made the pda program could figure it out?

It would be more difficult than just getting the pda program to run on an iphone. The tough part would be the I/O. Probably wouldn't be worth it for it to be developed because unlike obdII it would have to be vehicle/manufacturer specific. Also considering how people modding older obdI vehicle are spending less money and usually modding on the cheap, it would be a lot of work for limited returns. Thats in terms of the developers of the app.

It is still a very interesting idea that I would like to see attempted. I wish I had an iphone, such cool stuff for it.

jepherz

Staff member
Everything is proprietary on OBDI. There isn't even such a thing as OBDI, because that would imply there was some sort of standard. Plugs/ports are different, communication protocol is different, parameters are different. That, and there's no market since OBDII has been a standard since 1996. That's OLD technology.

curtis

Stephen on the one lap team has that app and uses in on his evo maybe he could give some insight. When the race is over. He was saying he can log the car then email the log to his computer for review. Just bad ass in my opinion.

464/2K

14u2nV

That's ^^^ basically the same thing, probably the same software. It is really cool, it has tons of features, just can't connect it to pre obdII cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

"It would be more difficult than just getting the pda program to run on an iphone. The tough part would be the I/O. Probably wouldn't be worth it for it to be developed because unlike obdII it would have to be vehicle/manufacturer specific. Also considering how people modding older obdI vehicle are spending less money and usually modding on the cheap, it would be a lot of work for limited returns. Thats in terms of the developers of the app."

But my thought is, the Rev program already does everything the pdas do, the car still has all the same connections, all that is missing is an interface between pre-obdII car diag. ports, and the iphone. It's like all the connections are there, but the wiring is all jumbled. If they can make an app that lets my iphone become a wireless mouse for my puter, why can't someone make that jump?

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
For all of the reasons that I listed. They'd be writing software and making cables for a car that hardly anyone is modding anymore. And those that are, how many have iphones? The mitsu ecu also uses a very odd baud rate, so extra hardware may be necessary.

14u2nV

you stay out of it, I like hearing positive comments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

14u2nV

I see what your saying, but even if they would just make an emulator to run the MMCD, that would be fine. I can do everything but make love with this phone, I wanna be able to hook it to my car now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

*besides, no advice from the guy that couldn't figure out the A/C juice was low, and that's why it didn't work.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
It's not advice, I'm just telling you why nobody has done it. All of the technology is there for you to do it, though.

I fixed my problem; you haven't fixed yours though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14u2nV

I'll fix mine, I'll just wait and buy an Evo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

iLLeffeKt vr-4

The guys on the LINK forums have been trying to get DSMLink on the iphone for a while now. No one has done it yet.

spoulson

Quoting jepherz:
Okay, buy an Apple, download their free API, and write the software :)

I'd love to jump into this if I had the time. I'd need a Wifi bridge, like 14u2nv pointed out, that works on the Mitsu diag port.

Btw, You don't need an Apple to develop for the iPhone. The SDK is free, but to get your stuff on iTunes you need a developer license, which is ~$100.

14u2nV

You don't need to put it on Itunes though, you can put it on Cydia for free. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ralli380Gvr4

Quoting spoulson:
Quoting jepherz:

I'd love to jump into this if I had the time. I'd need a Wifi bridge, like 14u2nv pointed out, that works on the Mitsu diag port.

Btw, You don't need an Apple to develop for the iPhone. The SDK is free, but to get your stuff on iTunes you need a developer license, which is ~$100.

Please do this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif I'll give you a cookie.

One more reason to convert. I'm planning on buying the Iphone when it comes out w/ a built in flashplayer or when the blackberry shits out.

spoulson

Don't buy an iPhone right now. There's plenty of talk of a new model being unveiled soon. They may continue to sell the current models at a lower price.

DarkDevilMMM

Quoting spoulson:
Quoting jepherz:

Wifi bridge might take a bit more time, but a USB port to mitsu port is easy, all you need is a FTDI chip to convert RS232 to USB, especially FTDI chip convert all kinds of weird baud rate like mitsu use.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned