The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

anybody run a hx40????need some help

ok i have a 20g turbo i was going to use for my build but im thinking about getting a hx40 ...i want to know can i make 600+hp with it ?and will it spool faster then a 35r???so if you have had a hx40 please show me your mods and power you made and if you have any pics of it installed post them

thanks,
mike c

donniekak

I have an hx40 on my galant. No numbers yet, but the car used to have a gt35r on it. The holset spools way faster, and people have made 650+ with the hx40 in the bolton housing. I see positive pressure after 2500 ish rpm's And my wastegate is opening at less than 3800 in third for 1.2 bar of boost. I won't be able to turn the boost up until i fix some un related issues, but after .7-.8 bar it rises fast. The response of the turbo after shifting is awesome, with the 35r it took longer to get back to full boost after shifts.

thecman02

my sig is outdated, and i don't have my pictures uploaded so when I do I'll make sure to show them to you. The turbo can make 600hp but your still going to need to spend 1000's on an engine and drive train to handle it. You need to get a 6-7blade 60mm compressor blade to blow about 70lbs/min max. The bolt on housing has been proven for 650ish whp. The 58mm 8 blade like I have is only good for 60lbs/min. My hx40 spools 20+psi around 3900rpm in third gear with stock intake manifold and stock cams. With both a jmf race manifold and some kelford 272's I think it'll spool closer to 4300rpm. With launch control at 4500rpm I could get 8psi. My mbc was effed up though and I ended up popping a head gasket so my car is down for awhile. I'm going to be building a block that should let my turbo breath a little easier and hold up to the boost better. I had no problems with knock at about 23psi with 18 degrees of timing.

*I started my post before the person above me responded so I'm sorry for the repeat information.*

Last edited:

Quoting donniekak:
I have an hx40 on my galant. No numbers yet, but the car used to have a gt35r on it. The holset spools way faster, and people have made 650+ with the hx40 in the bolton housing. I see positive pressure after 2500 ish rpm's And my wastegate is opening at less than 3800 in third for 1.2 bar of boost. I won't be able to turn the boost up until i fix some un related issues, but after .7-.8 bar it rises fast. The response of the turbo after shifting is awesome, with the 35r it took longer to get back to full boost after shifts.

WOW SOUNDS GREAT DO YOU HAVE THE 7 BLADE WHEEL???

3rdstrikedsm

Oh man here we go again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Get on dsmtuners. There have a whole section on Holset's and their performance. Its in the turbo section.

donniekak

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
Oh man here we go again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Says the man rocking a 14b.

gvr4me

For those who run hx40, do you run a restrictor? Where can you get those from? Do you run an oil gauge to find out the oil pressure?

AnotherNewb

I have asked all of these questions on tuners and was yelled at. Here is the concensus on tuners:

Holsets require min 35psi of oil pressure max of 75psi. You can run a -10an fitting for the drain but best results are with a -12an and a bung welded on your oil pan. For oil feed every car is different but a -4an line if your feeding from the head or -3an if fed from the ofh but like I said every car is different and its up to you to determine your pressure. You may or maynot have to run a restrictor depending on your set up ie, whether or not you have balance shafts or oil squirters... there is more info on tuners but a lot of it is what I have stated over and over and over.

gvr4me

Balance shaft removed, oil squirters remains, feeding from OFH, -10 AN drain. From what I've read on Tuners I should get restrictor if I have -4 an feed line, but I should run an oil gauge just to be sure. Maybe I should get -3an line then I don't need a restrictor. Anyone know where I can get -3an line or restrictor?

Edit: found my answers now.

click

click

Last edited:

shredder2010

i have yet to install mine but ill sell you it for $550. hx40 with bolt on housing

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned