The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Was no start; now its running on 3 cyl

johnnyRacer

Alright, I know its something really simple that I missed. With KOEO the pump does not run. It only runs when I use the jumper between pump test connector and bat(+).

Last edited:

Unless you have a chip with the feature to prime the fuelpump, it only runs with the key in the START position, or with the engine running.

johnnyRacer

My mistake, thats what I meant. When I crank (start) the motor over the pump does not run.

I believe that the way it is *supposed* to work is that when the ECU sees the START voltage on pin #108, it pulls in the MFI relay. Are you sure the ECU is good? What else has changed?

johnnyRacer

Then the MPI relay sends power to the pump. None of this will be successful without good clean connections. Thanx Keydiver, after cleaning as many connections it fired up. Its running, but lousy so I still got some issues to resolve.

johnnyRacer

After further investigation this is what I found with a dry compression test: #4-138psi, #3-130psi, #2-130psi, #1-0psi. Cylinder #1 is definately the cause of the tractor motor under my hood. Pulled the timing cover last night, found that everything lines up perfectly at #1 TDC (sprockets;E-3:00,I-9:00,dowels-12:00,and oil pump and crank at their marks). Only thing that differ from the last head was this one was milled down quite a bit. But now that I think about it the short head (milled) would throw the t-belt align off, wouldn't it? Also, before I did the comp. test I had to rotate the CAS all the way clockwise to get the motor to kind of smooth out.
Today, I'll pull the vc and see if the valves are closing in #1.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts