The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo selection?

Kenny_Kline

I am pretty sure I have my mind made up but would like to see what others think before I make any final decisions.

I am looking for a turbo that spools up as fast as a 16G, makes more power througout the power band than a 16g, and wont choke out up top. I have put my finger on this turbo:

Precision SC50. Rated at 450hp. Ball bearing center section (last longer than journal and faster spool up), T3 flanged (better flowing opening then mitsu flanged), external wastegate (no more divider hole to disturb exhaust flow), .63 A/R, V-band exhaust, 54mm compressor wheel. 3" in, 2"out. Basically a SWEET 50 trim turbo.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

slugsgomoo

sounds like an ok turbo, but it's not going to spool as fast as a 16g- ball bearings aren't like magical little elves or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

do you have a link to the actual specs or compressor map?

4thStroke

^+1

There isnt a miracle turbo out there. You have to give up a little somewhere in the band and make up for it somewhere else.

That "miracle" lays more along the lines of larger turbo and more displacement.

Olson

Holset hx 35

mitsuturbo

i really like my GT3076r. it spools just a smidge slower than my old e3-16g and makes a ton more power

i think the FP 3052 is pretty much the same turbo

Kenny_Kline

Well I understand when you go with a bigger turbo, you sacrafice some spool up time. I understand it wont spool up as fast but it sure will be close. The T3 flange will allow a better spool up time too.

Specs:

SC50 200-5027
Exhaust Exducer: 2.121"/2.229"
Exhaust Inducer: 2.559"
Compressor Exducer: 3.000"
Compressor Inducer: 2.123"
Compressor Inlet: 3"
Compressor Outlet: 2"

And now I am thinking on going with a journal center because atleast the journal center can be rebuilt where as a bearing center just becomes a paper weight. The turbos you guys list above are to big for what I want to do. Those turbos make huge power 30+psi and on race gas. Although, they do make decent power at mid 20psi on pump, I think I would get a better power band with the PTE SC50.

People dont go fast doing the same thing as everyone else. I have looked at the specs of most other turbos. Not what I am looking for. The SC50 is better than the 20G and decent power can be made on a 20g too. As long as spool up time isnt to bad and can make nice HP numbers up top without falling off its face, I will be happy. Seeking 375-400whp in that range not just peak power (which alot of people for somereason focus on) but a nice, decent power band thats pulls strong throughout

What about an Evo 9 turbo and a custom exhaust manifold??? Cheap, easy to replace if need be, super fast spool with the twin scroll housing... and you'll have a setup nobody else has. With the right motor it's capable of over 500whp.

Kenny_Kline

I have seen an attempt but never a finished product. I have heard what the EVO9 turbos are capable of. I will keep it in mind. I know someone who has everything to do the swap except some flanges. I will check it out

SleepinGVR4

Quoting RvlutionMtrsport:
What about an Evo 9 turbo and a custom exhaust manifold??? Cheap, easy to replace if need be, super fast spool with the twin scroll housing... and you'll have a setup nobody else has. With the right motor it's capable of over 500whp.

I'm suprised more people haven't tried this. I guess all said in done it would be cheaper to buy a turbo with similar characteristics. But the FP Red Evo IX is real impressive.

What all would be needed besides the custom exhaust manifold? Custom 02? Custom compressor outlet pipe? Do you need to use the water lines for this turbo? Hell could you even turn the flange around on the manifold to make the turbo face the direction it does on DSM's and our car's?

I don't keep up with evo's very much and this stuff was just coming to me as I was typing. I'm sure there is much more to take into account with a setup like this.

In the end it would be a setup only a few would have.

Brianawd

Big fan of the FP3052 aka gt30r. Fast spool great mid range and real good top end. With the right setup you can have a turbo that pulls from 3500rpm all the way to 8k. You just have to pick the right combo.

Low boost on my car=21psi got me a 11.60@120
High boost on my car=30psi got me a 11.17@131
There is no difference on the tune of the car between
21psi and 30psi. Car just runs a little more fat on the low boost.

My friends car is setup like this. He did it with a $150 Evo 8 turbo. Made an exhaust manifold out of stainless (could be done cheaper with mild and a coating), made a custom downpipe/o2 housing and rigged up the water lines. Slightly modified his Injen intake to account for the angle the turbo has to be placed at. Orientation is like our cars just at an odd angle so the wastegate clears the block. If made out of all mild steel parts you can do the whole thing cheaper than a new bolt on 50 trim.

CarRacer

What are you using to tune Brian?

Brianawd

Quote:
What are you using to tune Brian?

Link

here ya go kenny.. this would be a killer setup.

td05h-16glarge-cfm.gif

And here are the specs on the jdm evo9 turbos...

RS and GT use the TD05HRA-16G6mC-10.5 with the titanium turbine and the mag. compr.wheel.
GSR use the TD05HR-16G6C-10.5 with iconel turbine and alu wheel.
MR use the TD05HRA-16G6C-10.5 with titanium turbine and alu wheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned