The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

White smoke

Ok, here goes. Just had the 2 valves that were bent replaced. That is why the car wouldnt start. I have a 5 layer head gasket, arp head studs, evo 16g turbo, 450s, fp2s, gm maft. I removed the exhaust manifold to find #4 runner with oil in it. I can start the car and no smoke for at least 10 minutes. Take a short trip around the block and white smoke. It is oil smoke, it doesnt vaporize like water. If reved it plooms and floats away. The FP2s were just put in when the head was reinstalled and balance shafts removed. I think I have said everything. Please help!!!!

Wendy
Kicking Cancers Ass!!!!

Barnes

When the 2 bent valves were replaced, did the person doing the work replace all the valve seals?

I feel that he did not. I have called many times and he said drive it for a 1000 miles or so and it should get better. The car sat for almost a year before I gave it any attention due to a broken balance shaft belt.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnes

My sneaking suspicion is the valve seals are bad. However, maybe you are just lucky and it is some residual oil leftover that will burn off. Keep driving it, and see if it goes away or diminishes at all.

turbowop

The valve guides may have been cracked when the valves got bent as well.

Residual oil in the exhaust port would burn off pretty quick.

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

isn't oil smoke blue if it goes through combustion, but white if it's post combustion? If so i'd check shaft play on the turbo, it's possible there's a seal there that's a problem. Have you looked in the turbine housing for signs of oil there?

turbowop

If you find oil on the exhaust ports, it's likely valve seal/guide related, not turbo. If the turbo seals blow, the exhaust ports at the head will be dry, but everything downstream of the turbo will be wet with oil.

Years ago, when I had valve seal issues, the motor would smoke so bad it would be a thick white, with a bluish hue. Sometimes more blue, sometimes more white.

Last edited:

prove_it

if you didn't replace the valve guides I'd suspect they got bent. Exhaust valve guides wear out bad enough to begin with but if you bent the exhaust valves I'm sure they cracked or got real loose. You guys right about blue smoke being combusted oil and white smoke is after the combustion process.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quoting girlieracr4g63:
he said drive it for a 1000 miles or so and it should get better

Time to find another mechanic.

I had something similar after my VR4 sat for a year but it was blue smoke definitely from oil. The piston rings were frozen in the grooves. It did stop smoking after driving it for a while. I guess the rings freed up. I would still check to make sure there is no oil in the radiator.

1990ggsxnj

Similar experience here with my GGSX that had been sitting for a few years. Blue cloud when sitting for a while at idle but after a few days of driving, it went away. If it's white smoke, I would be more concerned. If it's blue smoke, it should take way less than 1000 miles to fix.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned