The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New valve tool

Gimpin

cool tool ... serious markup. Can't cost more than about $5 to make it ... more power to the inventor though

Hertz

Staff member
Very nice. Probably costs a lot more than $5 to make though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

curtis

Quoting Gimpin:
cool tool ... serious markup. Can't cost more than about $5 to make it ... more power to the inventor though

Figure about 20 for materials and thats if he's anodizing himself, replacement cost on endmills, machine time and design time added to that, not to count his monthly payment on his mill and costs for software, then shipping, labor charges, taxes and workmans comp etc . He might be making 5 dollars on each when you look at the big picture.

ghostinthevr4

I have that tool and I just got finished using it this weekend. I love it, it saved me the time of pulling the head off. I still have to finish installing my new pulleys and water pump. If you have an air compressor the job will go faster to compress the valve springs, sometimes the retainers won't pop until they have been compressed a few times. Doing it by hand takes some time, all in all it's a great tool for our motor's I'm happy with it.

ktmrider

I like it, seems much easier to use than the other on-the-car valve removal tools...

prove_it

I think I'll make my own

Quoting ktmrider:
I like it, seems much easier to use than the other on-the-car valve removal tools...

You are right about that. The other tools I have used required 2 people to do the job. Now that I do 99% of my work alone this should be a HUGE help.

I used the tool today, took 30min to put all 16 retainers on. VERY easy to use!

BoostedAWD91

wasnt there a link on here before that went to a outline of the lifter removal tool that u could trace to make yourself?

89coltgt

I wonder if the compressor itself will fit Kiggly beehives? I just ordered one myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sixsixtwo

Just received mine in the mail today. I'm going to disassemble my head this weekend, I'll let you guys know how it goes, as this is my first time taking the valves out!

89coltgt

I ordered one after posting on the thread. It arrived today and it looks like a very nice piece and well worth the price.

Given the lower miles on my motor, would this tool allow you to do a valve job on my head without pulling it? Or should I still get it pulled?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned