The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

turbo opinions

dsmtalontsi95

I'm having a hard time deciding in what to do about one of my cars. I have a 97 tsi with 2.3 strocker motor with 8.3:1 compersion, hks 272 cams, 255hp fuel pump with -6 lines ran from the tank to the rail wich is an aem rail with 660 injectors. I'm getting dsmlink v3 in the next couple of weeks. I have a stage 4 trans coming in from shep at the end of this week. Now the question is what turbo to run. On the car now is a frank 3, very old school turbo. I can get my hands on a holset turbo (the 35 with the t3 exhaust side) for cheap. If I go that route should I get the t3 manifold or order the mitsubishi exhaust side for it? Or should I hold off and get the ever so popular garrett gt35? My goal is to get around the mid 11's - high 10's. This car's purpose is for the strip and a little weekend driving around town so I would like some drivability. I know this isn't a galant but I trust you guys over the "tuners crew" since some people on there can be jerks and I just like this comunity alot better.

So to some it up,
Wich turbo: the holset and with what exhaust or the gt35?
What spool time can I expect with each turbo?

My personal choice would be the holset with the t3 flange. I have a SBR GT14BB on a mitsu housing, and am not happy with the boost levels I have to run to make good power. I think the HX35 with the t3 will spool better than the GT35, make the power levels you need, and is rebuildable.

just my .02

Brian

Lonewolf64

You don't need a GT35R to run mid 11's. My personal choice would be to run a GT30R variant from forced performance, in their specially designed housing. You also might want to look into bigger injectors.
click

Obviously you aren't just going to be put all those parts together and magically run the times you want. There will be a lot of tuning and fine tuning involved. 11's are no joke, and 10's are espescially difficult. If you don't believe me, ask Mark and Brian from this board.

Brianawd

Every one knows I am a big fan of the 30r. So of course I will say 30r. I am also a fan of the 35r as I have a friend that is running one on his 1g and just put down 630awd at 30psi on a dyno dynamics dyno.
You could also try a holset. Wheelhop is a big fan of them so shoot him a pm as he know more about them than most of the people here. More and more people seem to be running them and are starting to put out good #s. Its taken some time for the #s but I believe that has to do with the people that were buying them did not have the supporting mods needed to run the high boost on the holset to put out the #s. Thats just my .02 on that.
There are people here that will say this turbo or that turbo is better. I really don't think that is true. I believe that each turbo has its own place where it shines more than the next.
Tuning is a big part but I believe the bigger part is setup. So many people now day just toss on big parts and think that the car is going to go fast. You have to sit down and thing out what you want the car to do. Where do you want boot to come in. How high do you want your power band. Can your motor rev to the moon to take advantage of a big turbo. You get where I'm going. Hope you fine what you are looking for and have fun with the car.

JSchleim18

^^^Take it from this guy...11.1 in the quarter with an FP 3052 IIRC. It is a little expensive but everything you need to achieve your goal. For a little bit cheaper, I'd look into the Borg Warner S259. Supports up to 600 whp and seems to have a pretty sweet compressor map.

dsmtalontsi95

I'm leaning towards the holset, I have one down in my garage that my friend will sell me cheap. But where do I find the exhaust side from bep for the holset? The holset is the 7 blade hx35w.

donniekak

The bep bolt on housings will be done the beginning of april, the t3 housings are available now. Go to theturbotrader.com

PreskitVR4

Love the 30r as well. The HX35 would do well for what you want, especially since the price is right. Had a 35r on my DSM and was only useful up top, not were you want to keep a 2.3 that you want to have last for a while. As said before, tuning and fine tuning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

curtis

Dependent on what ar the holset just run it. You can get adapter flanges that adapter a mitsubishi to what ever you want its just a plate with 8 holes 4 for the manifold and 4 for the turbine.

There's a local around here with a 2.1 evo with a dual scroll 1.0 ar and its an animal, don't be afraid of large turbines it all depends mainly on turbine wheel size if his is a large wheel turbine go for it. For what your wanting the hx35 is plenty enough turbo. But your going to need injectors really soon. Low boost you'll be fine but when you start wanting 22psi and up you'll need a few sizes up and probably meth as well.

As for my recommendation I loved my schwitzer s362 but wanted something no one else had so I stepped off the cliff and got stupid sold it off and went nuts with a new set-up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts