The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

transfer case

adamvr4

I'm in installing my t-case and i cant seem to get it all the way on. it goes on half way and stops. I'm moving it up, down, sideways while trying to push it on. I even tried to put the bolts in to start it. The bolts reach, but not enough to start tightening. Does anybody know a trick to get it all the way on or am i doing something wrong?

spoulson

Long shot here: The spline counts match?

fivestardsm

Quoting adamvr4:
I'm in installing my t-case and i cant seem to get it all the way on. it goes on half way and stops. I'm moving it up, down, sideways while trying to push it on. I even tried to put the bolts in to start it. The bolts reach, but not enough to start tightening. Does anybody know a trick to get it all the way on or am i doing something wrong?

It should never be that hard to get one on. You need to definetly take it back off, and acess the situation. It should just slide on and off with barely any force at all.

I too was going to suggest the spline count, so let us know exactly what you are working with.
I have had the splined hole get a lot of rust in them before, just because they sat around for a while. If it is a matter of just rusty build up, then shoot some carb cleaner in there to get what ever grease you have slatherd on it, and then get yourself some WORKS toilet-bowl cleaner, and fill the splined hole up with it and let it set for 10 - 15 minutes. Rinse and repeat as necessary. This will get the rust out. You could use a stronger acid like muratic acid, but you just have to be carefull with it. It works alot faster than the toilet bowl cleaner tho. Also, make sure that the splined shaft is also cleaned, and has no rust on it.

adamvr4

my splined shaft is new (trans rebuilt), it is a 23 spline shaft. i had a 22 spline t-case and replaced it with a 23. It goes on smoothly just not all the way.

fivestardsm

Would you happen to have pics?
And also, what about the guide pins? Is there a possibility that they aren't lineing up? Or even better, I have had some of the dowl pins stay in the trans, and then I had a few that stayed in the t-case. so you could have a problem there..

Other than that, are you saying that its not going on by like 1/4 inch or 1/2 or more?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned