The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cyclone Manifold Gasket Questions + pic request

GVR4_1057

Can someone with a cyclone manifold setup take a picture of the relationship between the butterfly actuator diaphragm and the FPR/timing cover area?

Also JNZ cannot get the gaskets any longer to go in between the segments /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. Does anyone know of a source for these any more. If not is there a "premium" gasket paper that is better than the standard parts store stuff in case I have to go to plan B and make a set. I still have the old crusty gaskets intact.

I made gaskets for mine from a thick felt type gasket material I bought from Carquest. Much better than the thin paper type material IMO.

belize1334

I just used the thin paper stuff. No leaks so far but if somebody finds a source for the OE gaskets I'd love to get some. I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of actuator solenoid and fpr stuff. There's no clearance issues if that's what you mean. The only problem is that if you don't get the cyclone specific bracket for the back of the manifold then you'll have no where to put the fpr solenoid or the vacuum canister. I deleted the fpr solenoid anyway and just zip-tied the canister to the firewall. The butterfly diaphragm thing is located pretty low and doesn't in any way interfere with the fpr or the timing area. You will need to get fancy with the ignition coils though. You can modify the JDM coil to work or you can find a new place to mount the USDM coil or, best of all, you can go COP and avoid the problem entirely. I went with option 2 for lack of funds but I have my eyes on COP when my bank account decides to cooperate.

Last edited:

GVR4_1057

^ Yeah I have all of the brackets and even the JDM coil pack but I may do COP to make it that much easier. I was just concerned that maybe the diaphragm could interfere with my FPR.

belize1334

No, you will have to do some grinding if you want to keep your A/C as it interferes with the lines coming off of the compressor. Other then that, no problems whatever.

GVR4_1057

Thanx for that. I was not thinking about the AC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

JNR

I'm waiting for Curtis to step up to the plate and make some on his CNC...

I'll probably make a set for myself out of that paper gasket stuff, but sure would be great to have the tools to cut the holes nicely...I think you want a 'punch' like using for leather, rather than cutting it (holes)

I just used a new blade in a good x-acto knife, went slow and steady and the holes turned out great. For the bolt holes, I found a small piece of tubing in my scrap bin that was the right diameter and just used it as a punch.

JNR

Yeah, I suppose the larger holes would be alright with a blade, although I love seeing 'perfect' circles, it'd be close enough. I would think it would be beneficial to have it pressed against a wood board, right? That stuff always seems to like to fray otherwise, but may just be my luck (made some BOV gaskets and damn the trial and error)

I used a kitchen cutting board with the blade, a block of wood when I punched the small holes.

If you could find a small piece of metal tubing that's the correct diameter for the runners you could probably punch those holes too.

GVR4_1057

If I HAVE to make my own I was going to step up and make a punch and die system that will punch all of the holes out on location.
I was thinking something on the order of this but with holes that correspond with the gaskets.

JNR

Quoting dsm_drew:
I used a kitchen cutting board with the blade, a block of wood when I punched the small holes.

If you could find a small piece of metal tubing that's the correct diameter for the runners you could probably punch those holes too.

Come to think of it, I could just turn down a tube on the lathe, with a nice chamfer end. I like that "bushing" plate idea, also...Now, just a matter of getting to it, ha.

curtis

As for Curtis stepping up to the plate a cnc mill wouldn't be the best bet and the time and effort to make one I couldn't re coop the cash for it. If I built a punch with the outside shape and all the holes. I might only sell ten sets a year so its just not cost effective.

The best way to do it in my opinion would be to take the thick gasket stuff from Napa, Advance etc then use some indian head shellac and glue it in place then take a flat piece of wood and clamp it to it and let it cure over night. Then remove the wood and take an exacto knife and cut it out. Then spray the high tach red anaerobic stuff on it so the next time you remove it it want stick.

Oh by the way I have one COP left i stuck it on ebay and its got a buy it now of $225 if one of you wants it I'll take $200 shipped, Thanks

Last edited:

belize1334

Does anybody have an image of what all the gaskets SHOULD look like? If there were a schematic of the various holes, their sizes and locations, for each of the two interior gaskets, then it'd be a pretty simple matter to buy some gasket material, trace out the shape from an image, use a hole punch for the runner holes, and just cut the rest out by hand.

The punches could be a homemade deal from appropriate size tubing sharpened down by a grinding wheel and the basic cutting to shape would be a simple exacto knife excersize. One person could put together the fab kit and sell gaskets for a few bucks each. I might do it myself if I had the schematic.

JNR

Good ideas...

Curious if thin copper would be a better choice?

As for tracing the outline, I'll probably measure it all out for the holes using my trusty venier calipers and not too worried about the perimeter, except that it goes beyond and looks halfway decent. I was going to suggest you can take a thin piece of gasket material (for instance), hold it down steady, and press around the larger holes and/or use the old pencil and tracing paper technique, with 'sketching' on an angle so the holes will come thru. You know, like they do on forensics to see the nasty note you left before.

GVR4_1057

I can draw up my old set on autocad.

14bCrazy

I could just use my laser vision and knock one out for you right away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

14bCrazy

Quoting GVR4_1057:

What the hell are you doing on the web. Get to work on the Audi!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

GVR4_1057

^ I'm waiting on you, oh yeah and finishing up my galant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

belize1334

Quoting GVR4_1057:

If you have a set of OEM gaskets, just take a good top on picture, zoomed in from a little ways away (so that the aperture angle doesn't distort the image) with something in the image to scale it. Two rulers, one up and down and one side to side would do nicely so that any stretching/skewing of the image can be corrected. Then you can post the image, we can copy, resize and print until we have a scale-correct stencil of the gasket.

With the stencil it'd just be a matter of tracing and cutting. I'll get a few pieces of appropriate diameter pipe and file them sharp and there will be gaskets.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned