The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tuning issue.. maybe?

prove_it

So I just built my engine, eagle rods, wiseco pistons, all new head, have a cyclone intake, stock intake cam, hks 264 exhaust cam, stock turbo. I got eculink V3. I've been datalogging it and for some reason at around 4400 the computer is pulling around 1 degree timing due to knock. It's only running 10 psi and about 7 degrees timing. I'm running 93 octane gas. It's not lean. NO matter what I do it still shows up. It's not always, but sometimes and only at WOT.

Anyone got any ideas?

toybreaker

iconoclast
Have you verified your actual base timing?

prove_it

Yea I set it by grounding the connector and checking it and set it to 5 degrees. I was wondering if maybe when the butterflies open its tripping the knock sensor? it does happen close to the same time when they are programmed to open.
By the way the combustion chambers were mirror polished and the plugs so no signs of detonation.

What compression are the Wiseco's? Have you tried the 2G timing maps? I've had to create hybrid 1G/2G timing maps for the guys running 2G pistons with 8.5:1 compression. Otherwise you have way too much advance in the mid-range rpm's.

prove_it

I installed Wiseco 8.3:1 pistons with the "thin" cometic gasket. The head was cut too so effective compression is around the 8.6:1 to 8.8:1 area. Before I even started it I looked on eculinks webpage to find some maps. All I found was a guide for timing adjustment for 2g similar timing. I used that and like I said I'm running around 6-7 degrees timing in the the mid range. I dont think this is too much, Am I right though?

This may sound dumb, but are you sure the knock sensor is installed into the right orifice?

Its the thread closest to the top of the combustion chamber, and not the one in the middle. A customer a few years back couldn't get rid of his low boost knock.

Turned out, he screwed the Knock sensor into the lower 10mm hole on the back of the block, and it was picking up rotation noise and interpreting it as knock.

We switched it and the knock never came back! Try it out.

prove_it

already know it's installed in the upper hole. good idea though.

prove_it

it's the original sensor off the jap engine. I started wondering if that just bad. Just not sure what's going on. It's shows possible knock at the same load, same rpm's. It's weird. No matter what ignition settings I use.
I really want a timing and fuel map from an evo if anyone has one that would rock!

belize1334

Could very well be a knock sensor. You should have replaced it anyway given how old it is.

You could also not have your base timing set right. Once I thought I'd grounded the plug but the datalogger cable was interfering and the ECU wasn't actually dropping to base timing. A quick way to check is to datalog WHILE you check the timing with a light. You don't even have to ground the pin. The timing value reported by the logger should agree with what you read using the light. I believe ECMLink reports actual timing. That is, the table that you're looking at and the value reported is smart enough to account for the 5deg base timing value.

Also, for reference, these are the 2G and Evo timing maps. Yours should be similar, leaning toward Evo since they also run 8.8:1 compression.

Last edited:

prove_it

I LOVE YOU MAN! I've wanted an evo map for a while now and haven't been able to dig one up. I'm running close to 8.8:1 so I want to start with that.

I did set the base timing when it first started. I didn't physically ground the connector, I used ecmlink to ground it.

When I head back to the garage I'll double check it to be sure.

belize1334

You can find all of the Evo tables here. I assume that by ECULink you mean ECMLink? I was inquiring once about their baseline map for a 2G piston setup and the guy at ECMLink said that they have an Evo timing table that they like to give out when people use that compression. I'm sure if you contacted them you could get it.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned