The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help identifying a forged piston.

NateCrisman

Hey guys, I have a set of forged pistons that I need some help identifying the brand. There are no markings or ID stamps anywhere, so all I have to go on is "looks". I used to sell Wiseco and Ross pistons, they don't look at all like those. Maybe JE? The rods are crower, so maybe an old-school hint?

They came from the engine I pulled out of GVR4 828. They are 86mm dia at the skirt bottom. The block they were in had some half-ass stuff with welded cracks and orings on the HG surface. So I want to order a new ring set and have a different block bored out for these.

Pics:
493432641_xpYCx-L.jpg

yeah, they are a little scuffed. nothing horrible though IMHO.

493433828_pCxKb-L.jpg

The piston tops have an odd shape, the quench area doesn't go around to the sides of the piston, only the front/back. I'm used to looking at dsm pistons with a round dish type top.

493435318_kEJDc-L.jpg

This #1 piston has some little dimples like a ball got into the cyl, I think I can smooth them out with some sanding/filing.

Im intending to put these unknown pistons, along with the crower rods, knife edged 6B crank, ARP mains and put together a good "built motor" for my personal GVR4. I haven't been able to sell the motor as is, so I might as well use the good internals. Then I can hit it with a 200shot and worry less. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I'm picking up a 1g awd this weekend that needs a shortblock, the stock motor from my gvr4 can go into that car, which is a fix-up-to-resell type car.

They look like they seen some detonation. JEs all have the JE stamp on the inside, so maybe CP?

NateCrisman

Ok so the list of "can't be"
Ross
Wiseco
JE

Can anyone else strike a brand out?

NateCrisman

Quoting Jonvr4:
They look like they seen some detonation. JEs all have the JE stamp on the inside, so maybe CP?

As for detonation, that didn't cause those dimples. There are matching perfectly round impressions in the cyl head that came off this motor, "something round" got into that cyl and bounced around a few times before getting out the exhaust. Seems like a tiny ball bearing or something like that.

The other 3 pistons are perfect on top. The top outer edges are all smooth, normally with detonation issues, the edges are rough.

Ross pistons have Ross cast into them, JE's have JE, weisco have coated skirts don't they?

Mahle have a phosphate coating I think. They also have a very small skirt, so not Mahle. Arias?

NateCrisman

CP pistons catalog

After hitting a bunch of mfg websites, I'm thinking they are likely CP pistons.

3rdstrikedsm

That area where the damage is will cause detonation, I would get a replacement for that one.

NateCrisman

yeah, I think I should be able to sand down those pits without losing much material.

fivestardsm

Quoting Jonvr4:
Ross pistons have Ross cast into them, JE's have JE, weisco have coated skirts don't they?

I belive that the older wiseco's did not have the coating on the skirts like they do now.

Unless you are sure that they are CP, you might want to check speed pro (A.K.A. sealed power). The tops look like a set I use to have in a s.b.350 years ago. I have another set of the Speed pro in my Ford 302 and they are coated on the skirts.
You might check Keith black. I know their are more out there, I just cant think of them right now.

prove_it

I don't think that Mahle prints anything on their pistons, but they dont have that kind of top. If they are CP they must be from a while back. If the engine was still running good, they must be a good brand.

Maybe they were made up in Iceland?

curtis

Hey Nate looks like we both have the same mystery pistons

click me

I was told mine were CP's only difference I see from yours and mine the sides on the dome are cut out on yours. My guess it was custom to lower the CR down to 8.0 / 7.5 range on yours

bigblock4g63

Quoting NateCrisman:
CP pistons catalog

After hitting a bunch of mfg websites, I'm thinking they are likely CP pistons.

i dont think so. cp as a stamp on the bottom

Last edited:

NateCrisman

That pic of a CP piston is all cast/forged rough finish on the inside. My pistons are all smooth machined finish on the inside.

hrm...
the thing that makes me still think CP is there is a groove cut between the top and middle compression rings. CP lists that as a "feature" in thier literature, and Iv not seen anything like that mentioned by another brand.

either way, rings are relatively generic (So I have been told now). Ill measure the existing rings and ring grooves, and have my machine shop make a recomendation to replace them if need be.

bigblock4g63

Quoting NateCrisman:
That pic of a CP piston is all cast/forged rough finish on the inside. My pistons are all smooth machined finish on the inside.

hrm...
the thing that makes me still think CP is there is a groove cut between the top and middle compression rings. CP lists that as a "feature" in thier literature, and Iv not seen anything like that mentioned by another brand.

either way, rings are relatively generic (So I have been told now). Ill measure the existing rings and ring grooves, and have my machine shop make a recomendation to replace them if need be.

bigblock4g63

it could be a srp piston .. they are the lower line of je

Last edited:

bigblock4g63

and for the win the piston is a roller wave

Quoting NateCrisman:
Hey guys, I have a set of forged pistons that I need some help identifying the brand. There are no markings or ID stamps anywhere, so all I have to go on is "looks". I used to sell Wiseco and Ross pistons, they don't look at all like those. Maybe JE? The rods are crower, so maybe an old-school hint?

They came from the engine I pulled out of GVR4 828. They are 86mm dia at the skirt bottom. The block they were in had some half-ass stuff with welded cracks and orings on the HG surface. So I want to order a new ring set and have a different block bored out for these.

Pics:
493432641_xpYCx-L.jpg

yeah, they are a little scuffed. nothing horrible though IMHO.

493433828_pCxKb-L.jpg

The piston tops have an odd shape, the quench area doesn't go around to the sides of the piston, only the front/back. I'm used to looking at dsm pistons with a round dish type top.

493435318_kEJDc-L.jpg

This #1 piston has some little dimples like a ball got into the cyl, I think I can smooth them out with some sanding/filing.

Im intending to put these unknown pistons, along with the crower rods, knife edged 6B crank, ARP mains and put together a good "built motor" for my personal GVR4. I haven't been able to sell the motor as is, so I might as well use the good internals. Then I can hit it with a 200shot and worry less. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I'm picking up a 1g awd this weekend that needs a shortblock, the stock motor from my gvr4 can go into that car, which is a fix-up-to-resell type car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned