The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Got my New Setup in today, and i have ?'s

turbophein

So i bought this turbo setup used, it is a Tre ported s16g port matched manifold, rc 750cc injectors and what i thought was going to be a o2/downpipe combo, its just a 3" downpipe and a ported o2 housing.

so far i am not to sure about this but i will wait for some replies and to actually install this stuff for my finale opinion.

so after inspection these are my results:

injectors look great
3" downpipe is nice also, its just not what i thought i was getting
manifold does not look to be ported in the exhaust ports,
turbo has oil everywhere
turbo band clamp is loose, i can't just barely spin it around the turbo, it seems as if exhaust gas was leaking there, is that possible?
when i spin the turbo with my finger it only spins 1 rotation and stops, maybe a little more.
Turbo has some side to side play, no back and forth play.

How can i tell what these manifolds are? as far as 1g or 2g.

o2 housing part # mr188004 D2
manifold # 7417 and # 115 under the 1st and 4th runners

also they have a grey color to the manifolds and turbine housing, is this a coating for heat?

thanks

img1237058077507.jpg

img1237058076965.jpg

img1237058077995.jpg

Last edited:

stealthtt24

"going to be a o2/downpipe combo, its just a 3" downpipe and a ported o2 housing"

So what were you expecting? You said a 02 and downpipe combo but you got a downpipe and ported o2 housing?

turbowop

That o2 housing looks pretty hogged out. Should be fine.

Most "ported manifolds" are ported out where it meets the turbo exhaust housing, not at the head exhaust ports.

Journal bearing turbos don't spin much more than a couple rotations when spinning with your fingers, ball bearing turbos do.

Tighten that ring that holds the exhaust housing to the center section. Exhaust gases can definitely leak from there.

Side to side shaft play is normal, in-out play is not.

If somebody pulled that turbo off their running car and then sent it to you without cleaning it up, it's probably normal to be covered in grime and/or oil. I wouldn't do that, but then I fix oil leaks on my cars. Some people don't and oil on parts like the turbo is the result.

CarRacer

I'd find a different oil drain line. That hose and hose clamps looks like bad news. A few people here have had good luck using pushlok hose and hose clamps.

turbophein

Quoting stealthtt24:
"going to be a o2/downpipe combo, its just a 3" downpipe and a ported o2 housing"

So what were you expecting? You said a 02 and downpipe combo but you got a downpipe and ported o2 housing?

i was expecting tubular o2/downpipe combo not them seperately

Ian M

Oh yeah,you'll HATE a one piece o2/downpipe the first time you have to pull the tranny. And if you have the car long enough,eventually you will have to.

Last edited:

uncleben4rice

Man Im glad to here you received the set up. I did not clean it up and I did mention the turbo was leaking exhaust from the back of it. Could be the reason I could only get 13s out of the thing...I just pulled the water pipe off of my car today. Do you need it? let me know. How was that $200 packaging job. You sound a bit skeptical. If you are not happy with the set up, I will give you a full refund...Uncle Ben.

Sr71sss

Quoting turbophein:
So i bought this turbo setup used, it is a Tre ported s16g port matched manifold, rc 720cc injectors and what i thought was going to be a o2/downpipe combo, its just a 3" downpipe and a ported o2 housing.

so far i am not to sure about this but i will wait for some replies and to actually install this stuff for my finale opinion.

so after inspection these are my results:

injectors look great - how would you know if you have yet to install them on the car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
3" downpipe is nice also, its just not what i thought i was getting - you should have asked for pics for clarification.
manifold does not look to be ported in the exhaust ports,- you should have a stock 2G manifold in the pic before making that statement, you can't make a comparision w/o another manifold to compare it too??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
turbo has oil everywhere - yes hence the words used turbo for sale or just pulled from the car?
turbo band clamp is loose, i can't just barely spin it around the turbo, it seems as if exhaust gas was leaking there, is that possible?
when i spin the turbo with my finger it only spins 1 rotation and stops, maybe a little more. - its not a ball bearing turbo - if thats what you expected then you need to read a bit more on this forum
Turbo has some side to side play, no back and forth play. - the turbo is used but not used up it is a few years old and has been boosting reliably for the last 40k everyday miles

How can i tell what these manifolds are? as far as 1g or 2g. - repeat read more ask more questions before buying anything

o2 housing part # mr188004 D2
manifold # 7417 and # 115 under the 1st and 4th runners

also they have a grey color to the manifolds and turbine housing, is this a coating for heat? - yes that is a heat coating, 2000 degree high heat powdercoating from eastwood, 2 years old and still looks good no flaking or chipping, would you like the more familiar rusty POS that you see on all other galants? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

thanks

img1237058077507.jpg

img1237058076965.jpg

img1237058077995.jpg

turbophein

i was just asking what the coating was, no need to be an ass

turbophein

hey whats up junius, yeah the packing job was great, i am not to sure about the price they charged you though, lol $194 for shipping

as far as the turbo setup, i think you could have been more clear about the cond and what was actually coming with it, like a o2 housing or the heat coating, but i am still happy at the moment. putting it in today... we'll see what happens

as far as you saying it was leaking, i don't recall that, or you saying you car only did 13's, a 14b could do that, and there is slight shaft play, but this turbo is old i knew that would be the case. Fact is, that it is a TRE Turbo and it is stamped, ported and clipped, +1

probably will be selling this downpipe and my old turbo setup, and injectors.

Junius have no fears man, you took care of me, i'll take care of you with feedback and s/h compensation.

just let me throw these on first.

Kenny_Kline

What you need to do is order
-new exhaust manifold gasket for the runners (4layer MLS gasket from mitsu)
-7cm gasket for the turbo
-16G gasket for the O2 housing

Then take apart the turbo setup seperating these gaskets. Match up the new gaskets to the ports and see if they have been port/gasket matched. The O2 housing to downpipe part (2 bolt) has been ported. I dont know how much but the lip is atleast gone. That manifold needs to be dropped off at a machine shop and resurfaced because it leaking exhaust out of port 1 & 4. When you take apart the gasket section for each piece, look for black escaping out from the opening to confirm an actual leak. Check for flatness and resurface to be sure its flat. ALl new gaskets/inspection should fix any leak problem you have in the exhaust path. When you have it apart, take a CLEAR PICTURE!!!! of each opening with and without gaskets matched up against the openings. Also, what is the serial number on the turbo housing itself?

As far as the condition of the turbo, do you see any blades bent?

Sr71sss

Quoting turbophein:
hey whats up junius, yeah the packing job was great, i am not to sure about the price they charged you though, lol $194 for shipping

as far as the turbo setup, i think you could have been more clear about the cond and what was actually coming with it, like a o2 housing or the heat coating, but i am still happy at the moment. putting it in today... we'll see what happens

as far as you saying it was leaking, i don't recall that, or you saying you car only did 13's, a 14b could do that, and there is slight shaft play, but this turbo is old i knew that would be the case. Fact is, that it is a TRE Turbo and it is stamped, ported and clipped, +1

probably will be selling this downpipe and my old turbo setup, and injectors.

Junius have no fears man, you took care of me, i'll take care of you with feedback and s/h compensation.

just let me throw these on first.

hey man did not mean to sound like an ass but I was pretty taken back as it seem we bent over backwards to process everything and it was sent out like we said thats all but I couldn't understand where you were coming from you made some comments about even before trying out the parts in question?

all I say is good luck with the setup, you will not be dissapointed with it as it was from a great running car yeah it wasn't 100% tuned but who cares it ran great anyways LOL

conrad

Kenny_Kline

From what I have gathered from in this thread, the manifold is not matched to the turbo. You will need to hog out the collector to 7cm to get the full potential of that setup.

turbowop

Quoting turbophein:
i don't recall that, or you saying you car only did 13's, a 14b could do that

Be careful saying things like that to Ben. He might start a four page thread argument claiming that it's not possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

turbophein

come on seriously, lol i've been meaning to chime in on this thread again. give me a minute, haha

i took a 01 camaro ss on the highway a couple nights ago, and i was hitting fuel cut

Last edited:

turbophein

so i took some pics today of the setup against another mildly ported 2g manifold, and a pic of a 2g gasket on the o2 housing, now that i look at it it looks tiny.

img1237251962424.jpg

img1237251964416.jpg

img1237251964968.jpg

img1237251965436.jpg

Kenny_Kline

Note to self... do not do business with this guy. If your not going to check out what I described or do what I told you to do then just stop questioning your setup that you bought as our just wasting time.

Reminds me of my whiny girlfriend...

turbophein

Quoting Kenny_Kline:
What you need to do is order
-new exhaust manifold gasket for the runners (4layer MLS gasket from mitsu)
-7cm gasket for the turbo
-16G gasket for the O2 housing

Then take apart the turbo setup seperating these gaskets. Match up the new gaskets to the ports and see if they have been port/gasket matched. The O2 housing to downpipe part (2 bolt) has been ported. I dont know how much but the lip is atleast gone. That manifold needs to be dropped off at a machine shop and resurfaced because it leaking exhaust out of port 1 & 4. When you take apart the gasket section for each piece, look for black escaping out from the opening to confirm an actual leak. Check for flatness and resurface to be sure its flat. ALl new gaskets/inspection should fix any leak problem you have in the exhaust path. When you have it apart, take a CLEAR PICTURE!!!! of each opening with and without gaskets matched up against the openings. Also, what is the serial number on the turbo housing itself?

As far as the condition of the turbo, do you see any blades bent? "

"Note to self... do not do business with this guy. If your not going to check out what I described or do what I told you to do then just stop questioning your setup that you bought as our just wasting time.

Reminds me of my whiny girlfriend...

what the hell are you talking about, what do you think those pics were for? do you think i just have these mitsu gaskets kicking around or something? car came with a extra o2 gasket because mine leaks a little, and i bought the extra manifold for $20. i took your advice and i will have the manifold resurfaced, i actually thank you for that info, but why are you being a prick, no i haven't took the turbo apart yet, but thats because i've been busy, i just took a couple pics inside my house where the setup still is. at first it seemed like you were agreeing with me now your disagreeing? as far as whining, you go drop $500 plus on something and when it shows up to your door, and it is something totally different, then you can come and talk to me, until then help me figure out what kind of manifolds these are!

Kenny_Kline

Take the turbo off the manifold and look at the collector.

Your sitting here making assumptions saying its not what you bought but yet have little to no knowledge about what you have. If you want to educate yourself, educate yourself without assuming you got screwed hence the "note to self, do not do business with you". You are throwing up red flags everywhere in this thread to not sell stuff to. You came in this thread with the mentality you got screwed but no nothing about what you got.

So like I said, post pics off the things I told you to, buy new gaskets for everything on that turbo setup and we will tell you what is up with it exactly.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts