The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HELP!! Need help diagnosing only winter car problem!

mean_green

Here we go again, got to love them G-rides /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Freezing cold tonight (-12F) heading home from work on interstate and notice that cars been running a little hot, (on stock gauge), it tends to do this off and on and I just thought it was from the newly installed PWR civic sized radiator...

But I get off the interstate from my 20 mile commute and the car really goes from just a little on the hot side to in the red. I coast her two blocks and then drive the last half block right in my garage. I can hear the bubbling noise coming from the radiator or maybe other places because its pretty loud and I have a ton of steam coming from right under my driver side motor mount!?

Whats the cause of this? A water pump dieing or other?? I have been hearing a little clumsy ticking noise from the belts area...

Ive been having trouble with the car not getting very hot interior wise but always getting to middle of gauge or slightley hotter no problem motor wise. I did just do a new OEM thermostat and the PWR rad I mentioned above w a stock EG puller fan. Running the rad cap that comes with the PWR. I also had a problem with a little steam coming off from back near the fire wall and was thinking a hose to the heater core has a small hole that only leaks when hott and might explain heater not being very warm at all but then this happens.

Any and all help is greatley appreciated,
-Alan

belize1334

First, be sure that your coolant didn't freeze. Frozen coolant won't circulate and your engine will overheat. Assuming that isn't the issue, check all the hoses for leaks. You have two going to the throttle body (assuming you didn't pull them), two going to the fire-wall from the thermostat (heater hoses), two associated with the oil-cooler, and two associated with the turbo. Assuming none of those are oozing antifreeze then you may be in water-pump territory.

Steam at the firewall points to heater hose and team at the driver's side motor mount points to oil-cooler hose so I'd check those for green liquid dripping or pooling. Also, just check your coolant levels, even with a leak, you shouldn't overheat (especially in those temps) unless you're seriously low on coolant or you're not circulating. If you're way low on coolant then one of the above leaks could have brought this on slowly.

mean_green

I didnt even think of the coolant lines for the oil cooler. Didnt realize these were setup like that from factory. Noobieness stricks again.

I dont know how the coolant would have froze when I made a mix way more antifreeze than water but I guess you never know...

The thing that scares me the most is the ticking noise coming from somewhere by the belts but could never tell what that was and then all of a sudden this happens, but again I dont know if a water pump would act like this on its way out and during its death.

Hopefully its the lines for the oil cooler but Im not going to have a chance to look into it for a few days.

Thanks,
-Alan

4wheelsqueal

could also be a bad heater core. that might explain the lack of heat and gthe prssure in the hoses.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned