The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

help with 5 lug conversion

alright i have read all the posts about the conversion but have never seen any mention about the problem i am having. i also posted this in the other thread by terry earlier today with not much response and im trying to get this done tonight. here is the picture of my problem

sorry for the crappy pic my cell phone is all i have at the moment. but the plate in the center of the cups is supposed to come out when the axle comes off right. i have been trying all day on and off between searching many different forums on how to get that out. i need to get it out to get to the bolt behind it to get the cup off thanks again guys

Terry Posten

I have had that happen once on an old 3 bolt setup. I had a new axle so I did not care if the caps was messed up while getting it out.

You have 2 options:

Option 1 - Take an 1/8" drill bit and make a hole in the cap, then insert a right angle pick (or a self tapping screw) and yank on it until it comes out. Then to reuse it, clean the caps real well and use a small drop of RTV to seal the hole up.

Option 2 - Take a hammer and hit the center of the cap until it caves in and then use pliers to pull the scrap disc out. Then replace with new axle or get a used cap from a member on this site that just might happen to have a few broken axles that he could send you just a cap.

If you need a cap, PM me and I will attempt to get one off of a broken one I have or send me $35 and I will ship you a used axle from my old 3 bolt setup. I have 2 axles and the rear diff.

thanks terry ill send you over the money for the axle just incase i cant get this one out in one peice hopefully the other side of the car doesnt do it also or ill be getting another one from you. just pm your paypal address and ill get it sent over

finally got it off. for anyone that runs into this problem i suggest that you have spare plates on hand i couldnt get it to budge until i got out a air chizzle and hit the side of it until it started to spin then it popped right out with a pair of pliers seems to have some surface rust that bonded the cap and the hub together

Terry Posten

The axle is boxed up. I tried to take the old plate off on of the broken axles I have it I could not get it off. I would ruin it if I tried harder.

I will ship tomorrow USPS.

thanks alot i will get it figured out. i just hope this doesnt happen to the other side. with my luck lately it will though. deffiantly getting some antiseize when they go back in though

I've had that happen.

From what I can remember, the new 4 bolt axle had a cover on it already so I just mangled that thin cover to get at the bolt since I figured I'd probably not be needing the 3 bolt axle any longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts