The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tie rod replacement

91GSR

ok so once again i searched but to no avail. i guess this time i will be more specific with my question. i need to replace my tie rods and end because one is bent. figure ill replace both of them just cuz its kinda a safety thing. anyway. anyone know of a vfaq or anything on how to do tie rod replacement? i have lost my haynes manual somewhere and i had to special order it in the first place so i dont really know where else to look. TIA

jepherz

Staff member
what exactly do you have questions on? Have you looked in the tie rod area? It's mostly self explanatory when you see what it looks like. You'll need something to press the old one out (Pickle fork or similar...) and if you want to avoid a re-alignment, you'll want to measure threads or something else in order to ensure that the tires are still straight when you're finished.

91GSR

well ive got a pickle fork and i know how to get the outer tie rod end out of the wheel spindle assembly, but how do u get the actual tie rod off the car. there is a boot around the inside and i dont wanna go just tearing into it without some sort of knowledge. basically im just wondering how it is connected to the car. if someone has pics of it disassembled that would be uber AWESOME /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast

Inner tie rods are in the foreground.

brisvr4

This guide should help too. It does show the rack out of the car but you should get the general idea as it has some good pics of the inner tie rods.
Rack rebuild

91GSR

thanks a bunch guys. im going out to d this right now so ill let you know how it goes.

BoostedAWD91

Quoting toybreaker:

Inner tie rods are in the foreground.

where did u get the strut tops at? i guess their called hats i believe

toybreaker

iconoclast
They're O.E. mitsubishi.

I've got a jobber account at the local stealership, but the cool cats at jnz can get them ~about~ as cheap.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned