The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock 4G64 Block + DOHC head

How many people have tried this? I picked up a short block and NNXZ trans from an expo today, and was wondering how many people have just put the DOHC head on? I am probably going to try this.

Andy_S

I am wondering this as well. Just want to make my project as cheap as possible and run it until it blows. What would the compression ratio be? I am guessing in the 10:1 range?

I am thinking either 9.5 or or 10:1, but I am going to be running E85 so this should be doable.

Kenny_Kline

This is a common swap. I believe you have to drill out the head stud holes larger and a couple other things have to be used like 2.4 cam gears and such. Look into it. Its a common swap and has been done thousands of times.

I am pretty certain you aren't understanding my post. I have had a built 2.4, so I know what needs to be done. I am talking about using a STOCK 4G64 block, pistons, and rods. The head stud holes don't need to be drilled. Keep in mind this is a 6 bolt block I am using.

rez

You can do it, that's the setup I'm currently running.

Damn, I type too slow- my block is a 7 bolt.

Last edited:

rez

I've been boosting 20-25psi just on a big 16g, but 3rdstrikedsm owned the block before me and it saw around that much psi on a pte scm6152.

Kenny_Kline

Yes I understand your running a SOHC 2.4 block usually found in early style Galants.

You need to run the 2.4 cam gears on your DOHC head. I hel;ped do a swap like this a few years back but cant remember exactly what everything we did. There was an issue with the crossover pipe for the coolant. I forgot what one we used. Id have to go over old notes that are hidden somewhere but the same notes I have are all over the internet.

The 2.4 isnt a reving motor because of the longer stroke. It makes alot more torque and spools quicker but you cant rev a 4g64 block like a 4g63 block especially if its stock.

Kenny_Kline

And your first post states who has put a dohc head on a 4g64 stock block but then state you already have done it so why are you asking??? Im confused on what exactly your trying to accomplish here.

I don't think that the cam gears will allow the valves to clear the pistons, I am pretty sure you need adjustable cam gears. Also in terms of the not being a revving engine, I know, I just pulled a bum 2.4L out of my mirage..... like I said earlier, I have had one.

rez

Yes I'm using an n/a water pipe and the mounting tab needed to be drilled out a bit to match the bolt hole on the block.

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

Compression is around 8.8 on this set up as we are running dual fel-pro headgaskets on it which helps to lower the compression and adds the needed piston to valve clearance.

It is quite the tough set up and spool is almost instant on the 16g and was super fast on the 61 as well.

Last edited:

Kenny_Kline

Listen, I have done these swaps personally and have helped other with this swap. Not only that, but have seen others builds with the 2.4 block. You ask for information but then sit here and tell me whats right and wrong? Am I asking for the help or are you? Im done helping you as you seem to know it all to the point to try and correct me so good luck. Use the search button, its been 100times over and over again. Yes the 4g63 DOHC head on the 4g64 SOHC block. Search and you will see you are wrong for trying to correct me.

Kenny I had a fully built 2.4 with the appropriate pistons. I have built numerous 2.4Ls using AFTER MARKET PISTONS. I am asking aobut using STOCK pistons.....

Chris, I have a thicker MLS head gasket from my other 2.4L, so I think with the valves could be made to clear with adjustable cam gears. I had no idea that the pistons were actually strong enough to run that sort of boost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny_Kline

You dont need to worry about piston to valve clearance. An extra .040 from a headgasket isnt going to clear anymore than a 1 head gasket. The head gasket at .080 and a head gasket at .040 is going to have very little difference in compression or clearance issues.

Struc

Have a look at my website, posted in my signature. There are links to other sites as well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts