The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

belt question

Brunoboy

Hey guys, I also have to change my Power steering and Alternator belts. How long does it usually take to do? and will I be able to do it without a lift, and just jackstands and jack??? I need to finish it tomorrow.

Barnes

Well. First time might take you a couple hours tops. You don't need to jack up the car. Helps to support the engine with a jack when you take the engine mount off. It certainly saves time not having to change the A/C belt, I don't like that on.

I can do it in 30mins or so.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Why do you take the engine mt off Jon?

ktmrider

^^ It's not required to take the mount off but it sure frees up a ton of room to access both the PS and Alt belts.
Or better yet cut remove the "L" portion of the mount that goes to the front of the motor....

ktmrider

Look here click for the mount mod description.

1990ggsxnj

Taking the mount off DOES make everything a hell of a lot easier. And that mod looks to be useful. If 2g's have it stock, I don't see any reason why not.

Brunoboy

hey guys, which tensioner does what? I was loosining one and it made the other one looser -___-

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The alternator belt has its own tensioner on the alternator. The power steering is tensioned by pulling on the pump. The a/c has its own tensioner. You should not be affecting one with another.

Brunoboy

thats a good thing to know. I have worked on my 96 Eclipse GSX many times, its just that I have had help. and I forgot which one does what. Also I got a spare motor in the garage I was using as reference lol.

Barnes

One sec. Maybe I'm senile. I *think* pull the mount off. Or maybe I don't.....

I dunno, try doing it with the mount in. If it is too hard, pull the mount off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned