The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

NEW axle broke off in trans...

tkit213

uhh so i was driving in a parking lot looking for a spot the other day, and i see one but have to back up. i stop, put the car in reverse and hear a THADUNK... im like sh*t, that doesnt sound good. i back up into the spot and i notice immediately theres fluid IN A TRAIL leading to my car from where i backed up from.. i look under the car and basically theres fluid just pouring out. pop the hood look through the engine bay and see the axle snapped. so thats a couple days ago, since then i got it towed to my buddies and its been sitting since. so today a buddy comes out and replaces my front transfer case and pulls the axle and says hes never seen this, i ask what, and he shows me part of the BRAND NEW axle broke off in the transmission. soooo yeah. wtf.

my question is... WHAT CAUSED THIS? and how would i easily go about getting the piece out? he suggested weld something to the piece and pull it out that way. other way would be to pull out the trans split it and get in there to push it out or something. idk.

anyone had this happen? HHHEELP

Ted... san diego, ca

ps. this car is a headache. one problem after another :-(

Barnes

holy crap. My only guess is that your front spider gears are broken, or a piece of metal got logged in there. Wouldn't allow the axle to turn properly. OR perhaps the brakes and or wheel bearings on that side are bad. Check the brakes and wheel bearings first. If the wheel spins freely, I'd bet you have something busted in your tranny.

Terry Posten

If the spline is stuck inside the tranny, pull the other axle out and use a long screw driver and pop it out from that side..

But, the axle most likely put metal chunks inside the case and it should be pulled to make sure it is clean and everything else is OK.

4wheelsqueal

I twisted up a bland new axle in my gsx after 50 feet of driving. but mine didn't stick in tranny. Good luck with it!

tkit213

Quoting Terry Posten:
If the spline is stuck inside the tranny, pull the other axle out and use a long screw driver and pop it out from that side..

But, the axle most likely put metal chunks inside the case and it should be pulled to make sure it is clean and everything else is OK.

haha. well i guess that would work too wouldnt it. hmm. wonder why i didnt think of that. maybe because i was flustered with the damn car.

Quoting BarnesMobile:
holy crap. My only guess is that your front spider gears are broken, or a piece of metal got logged in there. Wouldn't allow the axle to turn properly. OR perhaps the brakes and or wheel bearings on that side are bad. Check the brakes and wheel bearings first. If the wheel spins freely, I'd bet you have something busted in your tranny.

yeah. hopefully there isnt crap in there. i have to pay a buddy to take it out and check it all and pop that out to make sure theres not crap in the case. damn. hopefully this wont lead to more problems. thanks guys for your input.

Terry Posten

^^^ He's no "buddy" if you have to pay more than a 12 pack of beer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barnes

Edit: I take back part of what I said. A bad wheel bearing or dragging brake could not cause this.

tkit213

Quoting Terry Posten:
^^^ He's no "buddy" if you have to pay more than a 12 pack of beer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

haha ok then. "this guy i know".. goes by dsm mike or mike or mikey is usually the guy i go to for fixing things.

hopefully hell fix my shiz for cheap. wish me luck.

tkit213

so he wants 300 dollars to take it out and put it back together.

idk. hes gonna drop the trans pull the part look for bits and put it back together for 300. good deal?

The_Big_Weave

Sounds like an ok deal to me. should do a good clutch and flywheel while its out... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tkit213

yeah i probably SHOULD but... what money i have is going into my 72 celica.

soon enough this thing might be for sale.
even though ill prob regret it. well see though.

spoulson

I would definitely open up the trans and clean up the debris. If you're up to doing it yourself, you'll need:
- some pry bars
- impact wrench and 32mm socket to undo the stake nuts (observe how the nuts are staked before removing)
- 2 replacement stake nuts
- Metal chisel and hammer to re-stake the nuts on reassembly
- assorted some metal punches to knock out the roll pin from the 5th gear fork
- lock ring pliars for the lock ring on the VCU
- new tube of sealant; I use Permatex 51813 anaerobic (~$18/tube)
- scraper to remove old sealant
- 2.1 qt of GL4 compatible gear oil
- hand pump or flexible funnel to fit in the side fill hole on the front of the case.

Have at it!

...Or talk to one of the transmission guys here to do it for you.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned