The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo and Throttle Body Coolant Lines

Can somebody post a pic of how the stock coolant lines are run on to the T-stat housing and throttle body please. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny_Kline

No need for pics. One coolant line runs off the tstat (rubber to metal banjo fitting) to the back of the turbo and the other line runs from the front crossover pipe in front of the block, under the turbo to a banjo fitting (full metal line). Thats it.

thats what I thought, so this line right here would go to the turbo right?
galantvr4coolantlines001.jpg

and this one to the throttle body?
galantvr4coolantlines002.jpg

but where would the second one on the throttle body go? Do I have the wrong crossover pipe on the car? The repair manual I bought is a piece of crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny_Kline

The first pic looks like the pipe that runs along the side of the head/block. I can tell by the metal brace that is on there that is supposed to bolt through one of the transmssion bolts. In that pic, the black hose runs to the heater core. The red hose runs to the TB. I cant remember off the top of my head where the one in the 2nd pic goes. Im at the GFs house and am unable to check my car but all you have to do is hook up everything and block off anything else you dont need. The turbo water line should be facing forward on the tstat housing. A rubber hose goes from there to a metal line with a banjo fitting on the end.

Edit: I dont even run coolant lines to my TB anymore so I wouldnt be able to check for you.

Kenny_Kline

assuming you still have a coolant cooled oil filter housing...

water crossover pipe runs from water pump and across the front off the block. This pipe has 2 fittings. One that will take a rubber hose that runs to oil filter housing and the other that is a thread fitting that hooks up to another metal line that loops under the turbo and bolts to front of turbo (coolant feed). At the end of the crossover pipe that runs across the block, it bends 90 degrees and runs down the side of the block towards the firewall. This has 2 fittings on them that both accept rubber hoses. I know the one facing the firewall goes to one section of the heater core on the fire wall and I do beleive the one facing up runs to the TB.

The tstat housing is bolted to the head. there should be a fitting on the front that accepts a rubber hose. This is your coolant feed line for the turbo and hooks up to the back of the turbo.

Does this sound like the pipe you have? All these crossover pipes are the same except for non turbo which dont come with the fittings for the turbo and oil cooler. I think you need better pictures and I can tell you more of what is wrong with your setup

beaner

Is it the stock thermostat housing? The '90 DSM's had a slightly different housing attached to the head.

I do still have the coolant cooled oil cooler here is the shot of that

galantvr4coolantlines006.jpg

here is the coolant line going to the back of the turbo as you can see i know where that one goes

galantvr4coolantlines005.jpg

this is the one from the front of the turbo, this is the one I cant figure out where it goes

galantvr4coolantlines007.jpg

Quoting Beaner:
Is it the stock thermostat housing? The '90 DSM's had a slightly different housing attached to the head.

what I was told it is the stock housing

turbowop

The coolant line for the front of the turbo is usually a hard line that connects directly to the water pipe via a bung underneath.

That coolant line you're showing is the one that normally runs down to the oil cooler, but I don't see the nipple it connects to on your thermostat housing.

BoostedAWD91

i know it might be hard to take, but if anyone can take a pic of the coolant lines on the 91 Oil filter housing, when i put it on the new motor, it seems like they arent in the correct location and there is no way to bolt on the coolant line that runs from the thermostat housing down to the filter housing

Kenny_Kline

The coolant line on the front of the turbo is supposed to loop under the turbo and thread into the front crossover pipe. It does not run to the tstat housing. The line from the tstat housing is a rubber line and converts to a hard line that runs along the front of the block down to the oil cooler.

ktmrider

^^ Kenny that's incorrect, the front barb from the t-stat housing is the water coolant feed to the rear of the turbo.
The turbo coolant return line does go to the crossover pipe.

Kenny_Kline

yes the coolant return goes to the crossover pipe (front of turbo to cross over pipe) but then there is another banjo fitting on the back of the turbo that runs to the tstat housing... the feed for the turbo

correct?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts