The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#1755 Lives on.... Build Thread!

turbophein

so i bought this galant off of corey in NY, its in pretty good shape, lots of hacking but most do anyway.

so i got it home and went immediately to autozone, used corey's phone number and replaced the bad alternator under warranty(perfect) charged the optima red top and changed the oil, she fired right up no problem.

next order of business was the clutch. so i watch the youtube video from jacks transmissions and found out quickly why the clutch was slipping. the slave was being stopped from returning, which kept the clutch partially disengaged. i adjusted the clutch and it immediately hooked and did not slip, only problem being now i couldn't shift good, so i realize my pivot ball needs shimming, temporary band-aid would be installing longer slave rod.

so pretty much got the car for $2000, it did not need a battery or clutch(brand new one included). got the free alternator and some quick reading of dsm knowledge has got me boosting around town like a bat out of hell... LOL

so this car has plenty of mods, i actually got a hold of gary the previous owner to corey, who only had the car for less than a year before i bought it. i showed him some pics of his old car, and lets just say he wishes he didn't sell it to someone who didn't know DSM's. he said the car looks beat now, but on the plus side he told me lots of info about it and actually sent me some paperwork on the cars build. woo hoo!!!!

man this car was hacked, there are exposed wires everywhere, black tape hold the boost gauge line, fan did not work, antifreeze and oil leaking, gas filler hose had black tape trying to seal it, no air filter, i can't believe it, unplugged wires(not sure what they are)boost controller was set to almost the maximum(over 25psi) i must of unscrewed the dejon controller about 3/4" out from where it was, now safely running 16 psi for now, missing rear dog leg, i have my work cut out ahead of me.

some mods i've done so far:

pulled all the emmisions vac lines, etc. from taboo speedshop
ordered a slim line fan, air filter, longer slave rod, factory Underdrive pulley, all new fluids(pennzoil syncromesh for tranny, redline heavy shockproof for TC and Rear diff, Quaker State Synthetic Torque Blend 10w/30. i also air up the tires and greased everything.

Things i need from some fellow DSM'ers:

i want to buy that logger cable on ebay, but i need the logger software for my laptop.
FPR
UIP
some help tuning the GM Mas, translator, and super AFC II would be great

Guys i haven't had a dsm in almost 7-8 years, i remember quite alot but there is so much new stuff that i am getting lost almost with all this info.

here's a mod list how i bought the car:

160k on the body and 45 on the motor and trans
head gasket,water pump,timing belt replaced.
also i was told it has new vale seal and 3rd gen lifters with a port and polished head with over sized valves i have documentation for the trans being rebuilt from turbo trixs.the aws is still working and the car runs good for the most part it needs a little tlc.
mods
-auto meter boost gauge air fuel oil pressure volts and water temp
-safc2
-font mount with hot side hard piping
-evo 3 16g
-evo 3 exhaust manifold
-full 3"exhaust and down pipe
-magnaflow stainless steel muffler
-gm 3" maf and translator
-act light flywheel
-act 2100 slip but will include a new but not installed act Clutch Kit # MB1-HDG6
-unorthadox crank pulley
-custom front door panel to fit 6.5 speakers
-brembo rotor front and rear with 2g front brake upgrade
-stainless steel brakelines
-stainless steel oil feed and return line not installed yet
-kyb gr2 front and rear
-front and rear strut bars
-new alternator and belt
-optima red top battery relocated to the trunk
-rewired 255 fuel pump
-evo1-3 mud flaps and the jdm rear window and door decals

things he didn't include are:
evo o2 housing
550cc injectors
dejon boost controller
evo manifold is tapped for egt
talon 1g shifter assembly with boot
momo steering wheel
momo shifter
nice hankook tires all around
and i have paperwork for oversized valves and port and polish, and tranny and differential rebuild from turbotrix

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Struc

Sounds like a fantastic deal. I picked up 56/1000 for $1500, but I'm going to end up putting a new tranny (known at purchase) into it, plus a new motor (didn't know), and my car doesn't have near the amount of mods that yours does. Great find!

91GSR

it's not a dsm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

welcome aboard

dc_style

1300 bucks and all it needed was the ecu recapped (hopefully). 100 percent stock.. perfect for daily driving and minnesota weather.. especially considering the amount of snow that's falling right now. it'll probably be 6-10 inches.

but yeh, you gotta great deal with all those car parts.

turbophein

thanks i thought it was a great deal as well...

so did a few things today...

did a compression test with a autozone rental??? i know... but this is what the readings were #1-130 psi, #2-135psi, #3-135 psi, #4-145 psi. which i think is great considering, the tester was leaking a little and i was doing it myself, i was running back and forth and i could see it going down every second, so i figure i can add at least 5-10 psi to those numbers heres a couple pics.

SSPX0573.jpg

SSPX0575.jpg

i finished removing some left over weight under the hood, canister, brackets, etc.

i straightened out the intercooler alot better, is this done for a reason?

SSPX0560.jpg

and a couple others...

SSPX0561.jpg

SSPX0563.jpg

turbophein

i almost forgot, here's the pics of the wire that is just hanging there, and i took a pic of where it goes to(fuse panel)

SSPX0569.jpg

SSPX0570.jpg

464/2K

please get rid of that grille /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

icurunnin

off topic: nice xj you have there. what all you have done to it? I have a MJ I am working on.

Quoting turbophein:
i want to buy that logger cable on ebay, but i need the logger software for my laptop.

TMO Logger for the PC
Depending what logger cable you buy, you may need a null modem adapter to convert it to the 9-pin female you will need to plug into a PC serial port.

turbophein

Quoting icurunnin:
off topic: nice xj you have there. what all you have done to it? I have a MJ I am working on.

i figured there would be some jeepers on here...lol theres tons of mods. rusty's long arm, SYE, tom woods driveshaft, Dana 44's Front and Rear, TnT trusses w/u-bolt eliminators, 4.27 gears locked, 37" boggers, alloy shafts, ctm u-joints, snorkel, flowmaster, theres so much, check out a this website a buddy of mine started, it has all my stuff, he is also A.S.E certified and will help you with anything you need, he has tons of cool crap on the forum to. www.usajeepowners.com i'm under the same screen name that started it all years ago... "turbophein"

Last edited:

turbophein

Quoting keydiver:
Quoting turbophein:

TMO Logger for the PC
Depending what logger cable you buy, you may need a null modem adapter to convert it to the 9-pin female you will need to plug into a PC serial port.

Thank you very much +1

this is funny but i'm pretty sure i bought a chip from you all those years ago for my old galant that never got finished, seeing your named reminded me of this... i have it sitting around somewhere with a nice new shifter boot that never got installed..

how do i find out what the chip is set to? because i had a different setup back then with a 20g, tial 35mm and 660cc's.

edit:

do you sell the cables, would be glad to help out a member!

Last edited:

turbophein

keydiver i found it, i sure hope it cam from you. is says Quality RF Services, Jupiter, FL , post date june 03, i guess it hasn't been as long as i thought, roughly 6 years.

img1235747548171.jpg

Struc

Quote:
almost forgot, here's the pics of the wire that is just hanging there, and i took a pic of where it goes to(fuse panel)

That's the alternator positive wire. Your car must have been upgraded with a heavier wire or something.

Quoting turbophein:
how do i find out what the chip is set to? because i had a different setup back then with a 20g, tial 35mm and 660cc's.

edit:

do you sell the cables, would be glad to help out a member!

Email me at [email protected] with the name you used to buy it. I can't quite read your picture.
No, I don't sell 1G DSM logging cables, sorry. I only have the 2G USB cables and EVO Flash ones.

turbophein

Quoting Struc:
Quote:
almost forgot, here's the pics of the wire that is just hanging there, and i took a pic of where it goes to(fuse panel)

That's the alternator positive wire. Your car must have been upgraded with a heavier wire or something.

thats what i thought it was, how many wires go to the alternator? i have only 1 wire going to it, same as when i removed it, is this why it blew in the first place?

nice hu-ride, sell me the ralliart mud flapz. Those things are killer. Good compression numbers, that is the same gauge i own.

turbophein

anyone know how to remove the wing, i tried but there a couple bolts inaccessible, maybe i should do a search huh?

fivestardsm

^^You probably mean the bolts that are in the middle. You have to remove the light out of the spoiler to get to them.

fivestardsm

Umm wait, I might be wrong on that.^^^ Ill check. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts