The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wat would be a good compression for a gt35r

codeofdastreets

im looking to build up a 6 bolt motor, but i haven't decided wat compression to do.im looking to run a gt35r nd i wanna make the most power i can safely street/ track car(you know got a keep them hondas in place lol) i was thinking 9.0.1 but idk if that is safe to run a turbo like that. can u guys give me tips nd advice thanks

I am running 8.5:1 Ross pistons on a 37r, but 9:1 would be good as well. Infact I think I should have gone the 9:1 route. Next build. So do the 9:1.

prove_it

1000 horse evos run 9:1 compression.
You can go that high, but you'll want race gas or if you can get E85 plan to run it.
If you do and plan on running 30lbs or so you'll want to spend the money and get ARP L19 studs.
the 9:0 compression piston will also help your spool time too.

Brianawd

If you can get e85 where you are I would go 10.0:1 or 11.0:1. If you can't then go 9.0:-9.5:1

bazeng

Wow, thats high comp guys!

I would have thought something like mid to low 8's for ideal street performance with big boost.

I agree that the high comp is good with race gas though...

slugsgomoo

static compression increases power as well, hell, look at static versus dynamic cylinder pressures and timing curves. Obviously it's a compromise, but I think that with a good tune even up to 9:1 or 9.5:1 is just fine on pump. Obviously you'll sacrifice a few pounds of boost and a bit of timing, but it should all even out.

You'll simply get a car that's nicer to drive off boost, spools faster, gets better gas mileage, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

today we have cool things like stand alone ECU's and dsmlink and having to adjust the timing curve to allow for higher compression isn't the stumbling block it once was.

bazeng

Even so, with higher comp and low boost vs lower comp and high boost, in our experiences tuning we've found that the lower comp makes better power on pump fuel.

On race fuel on the other hand, the higher comp engine benifits since the fuel doesn't really detonate.

Is anybody on here with higher than a 9.0 c/r?

it depends on how much boost you want to run in order to make the power you want

8:5:1 =higher boost to make power

9:0:1 =lower boost to make power

All i got to say is that my 9.5 comp 2.3 runs freakin great off boost. Im still breaking-in the motor so i havnt poured the coals to it yet. Ive got the tune good for just normal driving so i have yet to see what it acts like with more boost.

FCR

I have 9:1 comp on my VR4 and runs great the power band, spool, etc. I make 440hp and 435 tq on pump gas (GT30R and 2.3L) only 18 psi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Last edited:

1990ggsxnj

I'm pretty sure once you upgrade cams, that effects compression, scavaging, etc making it easier to run the higher compression so if you're looking for an excuse for bigger cams, bump it up to 9:1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back when I did have both my Eclipse GS (n/t) and GSX I definately noticed a differance off the line, what with the drivetrain loss and lower compression. If I floored it in the n/t it would take off, but the GSX took a second.

FCR, out of curiosity, what cams are you running?

Last edited:

FCR

FCR, out of curiosity, what cams are you running?

I used HKS 264.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

codeofdastreets

rite now the motor has a hks 272 cam but the motor has a stock bottem end im in the prosses of builting it up

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts