The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Getting angry with car stalling at stops

deez

So I have been fighting this problem for a while, push in the clutch and the car dies. It does it worse after being parked for a bit, but can still do it anytime. With the lights on, its horrible. It seems the extra draw on the motor makes the problem worse. I was just out driving around and it died on me three times. Click the link to see my mods. I am ready to put this thing on blocks and get another car.

ktmrider

Had the same problem, worse when I had lights on/high current draw. Alternator went out soon afterward.
New alternator, no more stalling.
I had noticed the battery voltage on my logger was around 12.8 or so, shoulda been closer to 14v.
Check the battery voltage with lights on and off. Off should be around 14v, on no lower than 13.5v, else the alternator is probably gimpy.

Last edited:

deez

Makes sense, the battery has been seeming a bit weak.

dsmless

had the same thing in my 1g dsm i took it to the local autozone and had them run a whole charging system test on it it came down to a bad alternator so it kinda took the guess work out of it a 135.00 later the car ran great and no more problems from what i have learned about these cars is that they eat alternators about every 3 years so I just got the one with a lifetime warranty when I sold the car I gave them the warranty info and about 6 months later they were changing it again so yeah in 2 years and n=months it ate it

BoostedAWD91

It also could be that ur idle is set to low, try turning up ur idle just a hair and that will keep it from stalling

Olson

Deez dont you also have big cams??

deez

The cams are pretty mild, 264/272, and the problem existed before the cams went in. It just seemed to amplify it though. And the idle is fine, 850, it just has a hard time catching itself and just dies.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Might want to raise it to 900 or 950. If you have DsmLink you can play around with Coast FC adjustment.

Lonewolf64

Quoting deez:
The cams are pretty mild, 264/272, and the problem existed before the cams went in. It just seemed to amplify it though. And the idle is fine, 850, it just has a hard time catching itself and just dies.

This is the problem I'm currently dealing with. Check the closed throttle switch on the throttle body with a Ohm-meter. If it is not working correctly, you will have stalling on most every as you put in clutch and let off gas pedal.

deez

I just checked voltage with my logger and at idle with or without lights on, 14.0V. So I guess the alternator is good.

deez

Lonewolf, do you have the testing procedure for that switch?

Lonewolf64

click

I believe it is on that page.

This page shows its location as the red dot.
click

I hope this solves your problem, as well as mine. If the sensor is working correctly, make sure that you have a good contact between your spade boot and the sensor itself.

deez

"At least in one case, the switch failed 'permanently closed'... this seemed to prevent the ECU from dropping into idle mode, causing it to leave the ISC wide open, leaving the car with an abnormally high idle."

So that would explain a high idle, not falling on its face and dieing. Correct?

deez

Well that may be an issue for sure. Corroded, poor connection, and just nasty! Anyone have a plug out there and a switch?

deez

Update...cut off the old connector and used a new spade, sanded the sensor side, dielectric grease, and the problem so far seems to be cured. I will keep you all posted how it goes.

The connector was badly corroded and in some positions, it had continuity, and in some, did not. So it was inconsistent for sure.

Lonewolf64

I'm glad to hear that your problem is seemingly cured. I believe that your car was losing continuity because of the corroded plug which can in some cases lead to the car dying. I have yet to replace the plug on mine, but I was 90% sure that was the problem.

deez

Now if I can solve the problem of the strange sounding transmission/throwout bearing....

Quoting deez:
Update...cut off the old connector and used a new spade, sanded the sensor side, dielectric grease, and the problem so far seems to be cured. I will keep you all posted how it goes.

The connector was badly corroded and in some positions, it had continuity, and in some, did not. So it was inconsistent for sure.

ive found a couple of my wires like that also, very frail and if the outter coating wares off and it eats the copper inside out. Spade connectors and heat shrink are a must! Once you fix 1 problem, another one is allways waiting for you. After a 2 year rebuild on 78/1k she still has minor issues that need to be adressed.

deez

Okay, so fixing that switch didn't take care of the problem. Any other ideas?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts