The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I need a math check....

fivestardsm

Ok.. So I got everything back from the shop, But, I am still waiting on the OEM mitsu MLS head gasket which is supost to measure at 1.4mm (.056) which is .4mm (.016) thicker than stock OEM (1.0mm thick).

From another thread that I had started about gasket thickness... click

Here comes the math problem I know it' should be simple...

Part A: What I have is a block that had to be decked .007 with the max limit at .008 so I have .001 to play with for Piston to valve clearance.

Part B: The head from what I can tell buy measuring the head heigth is that it has been surfaced at the most- .002 . So that right there puts me over the max re-surfaceing limit by .001 .

Part C: If I run the above mentioned OEM Mitsu MLS, it should add.016 (.4mm) back into the formula which gives me back .015 of clearence, way more than a safe amount for piston to valve clearance.

My question is hypathetically, if the specs that were given by dialcaliper are correct ( I don't doubt his knowledge at all.) then did I do my math correctly and am I safe to put the motor together with out any piston to valve clearance issues?

I just need someone to check my math. Its just like studying for an exam, the more you read it and go over it, the more it dosen't make sense until a different prespective is brought in.

OEM 0.03937" (1.0mm) [smaller size* vs. 1.1mm]
MLS 0.05512" (1.4mm)
difference (D) = 0.01575"

Part ABlock has 0.001 tolerance remaining
Part BHead has -0.002 tolerance (what is the max head limit, it's alum, there must be one to counteract the fact that alum warps due to heat?)

-0.001 + D = squish

You are correct as per your post, you will have ~~ 0.014" of clearance
The only reason this clearance is smaller than yours' is I used the 1.0mm measurement for the OEM headgasket and rounded down. Actual is 0.01475"

fivestardsm

Makes sense.
As for the head, it starts out with the height when new. Then you take the values from decking the head and the block and add them together to come up with a max limit of -.008

Quote:You are correct as per your post, you will have ~~ 0.014" of clearance
The only reason this clearance is smaller than yours' is I used the 1.0mm measurement for the OEM headgasket and rounded down. Actual is 0.01475"

^^ I was just keepng it simple. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts