The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intalled TB, Now overheating

slobra

I recently put a heatercore in my car that I bought off a member and I also had the throttle body off. I put everything back together today and my car has a bad idle and was overheating.

When I started the car it idled high then would idle up and down fast between 1500 to 1800. I did a search and looked for all the easy stuff first (grounded the throttle body, checked BISS, made sure throttle cable had sufficent slack) with no luck.

I took it for a ride around the block and it overheated and I notice there was steam coming from where the driver side line for the heater core passes thru the firewall.

Could I have possibly hook the wrong lines up to either the heater core or back up to the throttle body? When I bought the car the heater core was bypassed, so I'm wondering if I put them back wrong.

Any Ideas?

belize1334

If you messed up the lines on the TB that could cause the high idle. Coolant is supposed to flow through the throttle body, warming it and softening the little pellet that controls the FIAV valve. Still, I don't see how that would cause the whole car to overheat unless you just introduced a massive leak and now you're out of fluid.

boostedinaz

Did you burp the system before driving? Did it leak at all by those hoses. Not sure ont he GVR4 heater core, but the one on my Talon had very thin easily bendable pipes. One was slightly out of round and would slowly leak leading to a high temp. I caught it before it over heated though and fix it.

Another possible issues is flow. On other cars such as old GM cars, fox body Mustangs the heater core is just a small radiator and the direction of flow doesn't matter. In a GVR4 it may be different, but I doubt it.

slobra

I didnt have a leak anywhere and I didn't burp the system. Maybe that could be my problem.

If your looking at the throttle body, the left hose is connected to the thermostat housing, atleast thats how I hooked it up.

Also, the heater core looks like a little radiator, I wasn't sure if it mattered what was in and what was out.

belize1334

I don't think direction matters on the core, but the length of the hoses should make it easy enough to tell what goes to what. One thing that you could do is, without changing anything, just unhook the lines to the TB. Do it one at a time and be prepared to put them back quickly if coolant leaks out. If you find that the TB has no coolant in it, then you know that the FIAV isn't getting fluid which explains the idle issue. It will also tell you that you likely need to burp the coolant because it's not circulating.

boostedinaz

If you didn't burp it that could very well be the problem. The heater core is fairly low in the system and it must have had a lot of air in it.

Fill it back up let it idel with the cap off until it has fully warmed up. Put the cap back on and go for a slow drive then recheck the coolant level once it has cooled off.

Rausch

Also getting the front end up in the air, or higher than everything else (steep hill) helps expedite the process as well.

slobra

Just an update, I switched those coolant lines on the TB and burped the coolant system and now all is well.

Thanks for all they help guys.

boostedinaz

^^^

Nice. Glad to hear that.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned