The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Piston ring gap?

Kenny_Kline

What should I gap my piston rings to? Stock internals, 25ish psi, pump gas, MAYBE a 50 shot.

-SPEC-

Rod run clearance: .0008-.0020 Cap- 14.5 + 1/4 turn
Main run clearance: .0008-.0016 Cap- 14.5 + 1/4 turn

Ring top:
Ring 2nd:
Ring oil:
Crank end play: .0020-.0071

Last edited by a moderator:

Brianawd

If they are just factory rings that are not file fit just toss them in.

Brianawd

Yes they are already gapped. I have never had a problem just putting them in with the gap they come with. If you really want then you can find the 1st ring with the biggest gap and the 2ring with the biggest gap and make all the other rings match. That way all your ring gaps are the same for each hole.

CarRacer

I bought a set of rings off of partsdinosaur.com. Would I have to file them? They are for the stock bore.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
This really depends on how perfect you want it to turn out. For just a stock rebuild, probably not real necessary. With somewhat worn bores, you will likely be on the loose side.

If I were building a higher output higher boost engine I would probably check them, and likely fit them to the bores best match method at least.

Aftermarket forged pistons and rings I would definitely check. Too tight is bad.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned