The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

front suspension clunk

turbowop

Ever since I bought 503 it's had a clunking going on over bumps in the road, expansion joints, speed bumps, etc. It feels like it comes from the driver's side. Erik said that it did this even before the car was in the accident so it wasn't from that.

Last night and today I checked everything over. I pulled the lower control arm to check the bushings and ball joint. It already had poly bushings and the ball joint was fine. Strut tops are in good shape and all nuts/bolts were tight. Struts/springs are on correctly and in good shape also. I visually inspected the steering rack bushings and they look okay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I was about to plunk down for some of those Ebay control arms with new bushings and ball joints, but now I'm not so sure that's the issue, since everything looks/feels okay.

Anybody have any other ideas? It's pretty annoying and makes the car feel loose and old. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

On another note, the new turbo feels great, and with all new coolant hoses and radiator and accessory belts, the car feels pretty reliable. It also had some idle issues that I fixed by taking the ISC motor from 1051. Guess I'll have to get a new one for the garage queen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Barnes

Only suggestion I can make is to triple check your inner tie rods. The passenger side inner tie rod boot on #908 split and the joint started to rust. It is only a little bit loose, but makes a lot of noise.

turbowop

Tie rods are good.

Both front and rear bushings on the control arm are fine also. That includes the pin that the rear bushing slides onto. Everything fit nice and snug.

It's not just a noise either. I can actually feel it in the floorboard it seems. Like if I go over a speed bump fairly slow, it feels like the whole driver's side assembly moves back. Maybe I'll have my girlfriend drive over one later and I'll watch with a flashlight to see what it does.

And before somebody brings it up, the swaybar links are fine also.

Last edited:

galant344

what about the sway bar end links and sway bar bushings?
I have a similar issue w/ my car but when it get it running again i'm going to look into this noise. it can be so annoying.

ktmrider

Motor or tranny mount(s), driveshaft carrier bearing, or exhaust clearance ( making contact w/body ).

Barnes

Oh yeah. Forgot about engine mounts. My front engine mount on #908 was sagging really bad. It would contact the front subframe on decel and other such events.

turbowop

Quoting ktmrider:
Motor or tranny mount(s), driveshaft carrier bearing, or exhaust clearance ( making contact w/body ).

All that stuff is fine. I could coast over a speed bump and it will do it, so it's not the engine rocking, or the driveshaft moving around under load.

I'm no spring chicken with these cars. I've checked all the usual suspects. I'm seriously stumped.

Last edited:

ktmrider

Hmm, bout the only thing left is the LF driveshaft?!?
Maybe some axial or radial play causing it to slap else the center section is not bolted down properly.
Like mentioned running outta ideas.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

fivestardsm

Just a thought, but What about the Rack? It might have some issues with the internals.

CP

Does this car have spherical bearings on top of the struts? They can get noisy when the teflon liners wear.

Barnes

I got it. It's the reverse wing-dang-er valve. Sneaky bastard.

turbowop

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

503 just has regular strut tops, no spherical bearings. It's factory springs on AGX's.

I really don't see the rack as being the culprit. Steering feels great, nothing feels loose. It feels like something in the suspension, but I dunno.

I took it out for a drive and now that I've had it apart and put it all back together, it doesn't feel as bad, but it's still noticeable over speed bumps. Maybe I'm just being picky, but it doesn't seem right. At least it's not something that's gonna hold me back from driving it. More a nuisance than anything.

Last edited:

Barnes

K. Another possibility. A bad strut/shock. You said they are good, so perhaps I'm wrong. #237 had a bad front left AGX and it make a horrible clunk. Granted it was dead as a door nail, but anyways, just throwing it out there.

belize1334

You said you can feel it in the floor boads? Maybe you have structural damage to the chassis or the front subframe.

mountaineerjeff

are you sure it doesnt have bearings? they are a stock/oem piece.
my car was having the same problem, I replaced the upper strut mounts and the bump stops. unfortunately I did them both at the same time, so I dont know what fixed it, but I do know I havent had a problem since.

Last edited:

Barnes

Can't you just park it next to #1051 and the awesomeness energy field will heal #503?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts