The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

evo-8 steering rack in gvr4

3rdstrikedsm

May or may not work but can we dig up some pics of both and compare the 2?
Just an idea at this point, I am looking for a way to get rid of the sloppy school bus like steering in the galant.

I know about the "quickner" idea but would rather go with a custom rack is at all possiable.

Before people jump in and say not possable please post a reason that supports your answer.

Barnes

so what makes the ebo rack so much better than our rack?

turbowop

It's a much quicker ratio than ours, although I don't think our power racks are all that bad. The Evo's can sometimes be too quick for just tooling around town, IMO.

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

Yea at first it can seem to be too quick but you get used to it after the first 300 miles, Ours is just way too sloppy for me but then again I came from an evo 8 so I got used to that so this is why I am looking to make some sort of modification.

Dialcaliper

I was thinking about experimenting with something like this, but then I realized that it isn't that simple. The steering ratio is more than just the gearing in the rack. 12.8:1 or 17.8:1 is the ratio of steering wheel angle to tire angle. This means that it also includes any difference in the length of the steering arms on the hubs (a shorter arm would make a quicker ratio, but you'd mess up the toe-steer unless you also move the rack forward)

The Evo FSM claims 2.1 turns lock to lock, a 146mm rack stroke and max tire angles (degrees) of 32 inner, 27 outer (the tires steer differently because the tie rods are not at 90 to the steering arms - so the car can turn at low speeds without scrubbing the tires - it's called "Ackermann" steering). If my envelope math is correct, that means the distance from the tie-rod to the hub is about 5 inches.

Measuring the other day on my car, I also got roughly 5 inches from hub to tie-rod, so swapping it might work. You'd have to figure out the stroke of the stock rack though. Keep in mind though that you'd lose low-speed turning radius if it actually matters to you.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Galant has a higher available steering angle than the Evo (37.5 inner, 30.5 outer), so just comparing lock-to-lock isn't accurate. Does anyone have an accurate lock-to-lock estimate for the Galant? I remember reading 2.5 or 2.6 turns somewhere for a DSM but the 1G has max steering angles the same as the Evo. The Galant AMG had a 2.7 turn rack (14.3:1) which is quicker than the VR-4.

If our rack is actually 17.8:1 as claimed (not by anywhere unofficially unfortunately) it should be 3.4 turns lock to lock. Has anyone paid attention recently?

If the galant is actually only 2.7 turns, that would make a 14.3:1 ratio, so maybe it's more? The VR-4 Evo and RS models supposedly had 2.4 lock to lock, which is actually slightly quicker than an Evo rack (12.7:1) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

3rdstrikedsm

Ha ha, My dad is also an engineer as well so I am used to long thorough explanations, Gives good food for thought.

I was thinking of trying to mod an evo 1-3 rack (RHD) which may be closer to the e39a rack.

I am just brainstorming at this point but you know what that can lead to.

Anyone know what the tel roaio is? I know it is sllightly diff.

Stock VR-4 > 17.8:1
Evo > 13:1

Scientist

If the newer ones can work that would be great news....can get an Evo 6 RS rack which is very close

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
Anyone know what the tel roaio is? I know it is sllightly diff.

15.8:1 according to my 91 Talon sales brochure.

Last edited by a moderator:

3rdstrikedsm

I have a tel rack now in the car and it still feels sloppy but I honestly can't remember what a stock gvr4 one feels like.

I wonder if a manual rack is the same ratio?

mountaineerjeff

so it seems that a galant-rs/amg/evo would still be an upgrade, and to me, seems like a easy swap? yes? no?

atc250r

Staff member
I can tell you this. When I pulled the stock rack out of my GVR4 I put it on the bench next to a 1G DSM one and counted the turns lock to lock for both of them. There was less than 1/8 of a turn difference between them. Unfortunately the number of turns lock to lock really means nothing because you don't know how far each turn moves the tie rod end. You could have a rack with 2 turns that moves the tires 40* and another with 2 turns that moves the tires 20* so the number of turns doesn't tell you much.

John

jepherz

Staff member
I had looked into it at one point here. As I recall, one of the two bushing mounts was different, as well as the inlet and the outlet for the steering fluid.

Someone will have to correct me if wrong, but I think the tie rods were different as well, not actually using a taper like ours do. I may be thinking of the lower ball-joint, though.

I know there was a pic of an evo rack from KC's evo, let me look.

Edit: Here are some pics, maybe you can come up with a few of a galant rack for comparison? Evo rack.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting Dialcaliper:
If our rack is actually 17.8:1 as claimed (not by anywhere unofficially unfortunately) it should be 3.4 turns lock to lock. Has anyone paid attention recently?

Can you explain how you came up with this?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting jepherz:

Someone will have to correct me if wrong, but I think the tie rods were different as well, not actually using a taper like ours do. I may be thinking of the lower ball-joint, though.

Shouldn't really be a problem if the tie rod ends (I think that is what you meant) have a 14mm female thread. Then you could use GVR4 parts, or find some other ones that would work. Most designs are fairly similar.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts