The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

First Tune with Q16 - Wow that is some good stuff.

So last night I started to tune the galant on Q16. I got the car up to 27psi and about 15 degres of timing with 0 knock. The AFR's were still very rich, about 11.0, so I still need to remove a lot more fuel. The car pulls crazy hard. I got to a point where I was like ok we are good because the car is just tooo damn fast right now.

So from pump gas to Q16 is just insane. That gas is worth every penny. I now have to setup my map to go all the way to 35psi, and really get the boost up there. I dont have a dyno sheet, this was all street tuned, but I would guess the car is making around 500-530 at the wheels on this stuff. (I used my old dyno sheet, and map to compare and come up with those numbers.)

So I am hoping that in a few weeks I will be able to get the boost up to 35psi, and get back to the dyno and get a sheet for everyone to see. I am just waiting for those 600+ numbers.

C16 Tune 25psi 460awhp - stock motor(2.0 & FP DSM88HTA)
91 CA Piss Tune 433awhp - built motor(2.0 & FP DSM88HTA)
Q16 Tune 27psi Estimate(500-530awhp) - built motor(2.0 & FP DSM88HTA)

Mark

I have to say is from experience watch those head studs and gasket at 35 psi. I would look into some magnus studs if you can afford it. The Q16 is great stuff. There is a noticeable difference between the 2 gases.

Last edited:

Currently on ARP's and the MLS. I might switch to the L19 ARP's for some extra piece of mind.

Brianawd

Switch now. If I can lift my head with just a 30r and standard arp you are for sure going to lift.

and where was the video cam theboz? I was hoping you would have some videos of this ish since you got some other good videos in your streetfire account.

Brianawd

Quote:
thats not true, people have made 1000 whp on standard arp's

OK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Launch

The sweet spot on Q16 is the very lean side of things......what AFR are you tuning to for power?

Where I am trying to get:

12.5 afr
22-24 degrees of timing
32-35psi
9000rpm
@ 100-120 degree intake temps
600+ WHP

Currently
11.0 aft
15.3 degrees of timing
27psi
8500rpm
100-120 degree intake temps
HP Estimate 500, waiting for dyno to verify.

Turbo builds full boost on this tune at about 5300rpm. So I still need to work on the spool up and get it below the 5k mark. I should be able to have this turbo fully spoosed about 4500-4600rpm. It was that way on my pump gas map.

The crazy stuff about this gas is that it does not like to be rich, if you are too rich it will make more noise. So as I lean it out all the noise goes away. So right now at 11:1 afr's you can tell the car wants to be leaner.

Also according to AEM Log and the dyno maths lib my car makes about 420awhp. My estimate was based on how my car felt on c16 at 25psi and 10 degrees of timing which neted 460 on a DynoJet, during that dyno session I was gaining 10hp for every pound of boost.

I tried to hit the dyno yesterday, however they did not have time for me to squeze in. So I will try to hit it next weekend after I have done some more tuning on the car. I will also try to get to at least 32psi before then.

As for the video, I only have a short 3 gear pull, getting onto the freeway and then had to slow down because of traffic, but the car once it is in boost gets up to 100mph crazy fast.

VR4coop

You need one of these so you can make some sick videos.

The Wedge Bar

Thanks
Clint

Last edited:

Hit the 1/8th mile, and the results were pretty good. I wanted them to be a little better but considering that I was not 2-stepping the car it was pretty good.

7.89@97mph

I am looking to knock off 1 sec off my ET and add about 10-17mph in the 1/8th. That should put me into the 10's somewhere. So in a few weeks I will have my twin disk on and my welded center diff, and then I am turning the boost up to 35psi, and see if I cant get my times where then need to be.

The car runs awesome on Q16, it went crazy lean downt the track 14.0 afr's and only about 16 degrees of timing, so I am going to add a little fuel and add another 6-8 degrees of timing. I am looking to be 12.5 afr and 22-25 degrees of timing.

P.S. I will have a video up next week.

onesickcrx

Wow 14.0 A/F is that typeo? I hope so and you made a pass like that jezz best of luck.

3rdstrikedsm

Many people run q16 afr's in the 13.7- 14.2 area, It is where the "sweet spot" is.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts