The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What causes vr4 to go 2wd

NZ VR4 RS

here is the vid, you can see it getting loose just before halftrack
click

finally after 8 years of trackdays,hard street use and hundreds of 1/4 mile runs it finally broke.

first and only run of the day, the track was hell sticky.
got a lot of drivetrain shake off the line and bounced it off the limiter a few times, hooked second good then when i went to change into third it started steeping out sideways.

got of the gas then back on it but it felt like the clutch was slipping, grabbed 4th and ran a 12.6@110.

on the way back gave it a bust in 2nd and it went straight round to the limiter and didnt really accelerate.

went back to pits and checked all the axles and they were still intact got another guy to hold the other side whell and checked the diffs and they were still tight as.

was at a loss, went down the side road and gave it a blast through 1-3 went straight to limiter in all the gears and was feeling real loose in the back,thought it must be clutch till i looked in the rear view mirror and saw two blaclk lines about 80m long :-o

by then i sussed out it was only running power to the back wheels, turned round dropped the clutch in first then jumped on the brake and grabbed 2nd then third smoke was pissing of the wheels and the car was not moving let the brake off and did a king skid on the limiter in third for about another 80m then went back into the pits and parked it up.

took a mate out for another go about 3 hours later same result no traction till we did a 3 point turn at the end of the road heard a massive clunk and went to do another skid but it was back in 4wd, ripped through 1-3 then backed off, slowed down grabbed 2nd and it was back in 2wd.

did another 3 point turn another big clunk and it was back into 4wd did ano
ther down and back run through the gears and it stayed in 4wd.

was going to do another run as they were just about to start racing again but decided it was too risky as another launch coud dislodge whatever is loose and blow the box apart and prob rule me out of the four and rotor meet in feb.

so this weekend coming up the box is coming out and getting looked at by palmside to see whats up.

i was gutted but thats racing, it still drove home slowly so thats one good thing.

still not too sure what is going on but only the centrr diff or viscous coupling can do this i think.

if anybody knows what could be the issue then post up.

thanks for reading the story

Nick

Sounds like the spider gears broke in the diff. The bad part is you didn't stop driving it once you noticed the problem. I would think that by now a lot of the spider gear chunks have left the center diff housing and got to the rest of the trans. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the gears in the trans now have damaged and chipped teeth as well. I would probably look for another core as that one is most likely ruined.

Jack

dsmtalontsi95

I have had that hapen to me too, it's the center diff.

NZ VR4 RS

but the 2wd was so much fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i was looking at the 4-Spider Center Diff on your site or the Premium AWD DSM Transmission Rebuild.

do you ship to New Zealand

Last edited:

H05TYL

2wd's fun with the little power I've got - it must be insane with the amount you've got!

Yep, sure do. I just shipped a trans to Spain the other day!

Since yours is a 1G type unit it might be better for you to just keep the one you have there as it will be around $500ish to ship to us and we don't even know if it's a good core. It might be a waste to ship a trans for $500 if it's shot anyway. I have good cores here and it sounds like it would be better on your end if we just shipped one of those.

I know people don't like it when I post like this, so if you want more info please PM so I don't mess up the thread. Thanks,

Jack

NZ VR4 RS

been a while from the last update.

this one is due to the car going between 2wd and 4wd at the last drag meet on the 6th jan.

pulled box out about 3 weeks ago and after a bit of raw manpower got the center diff out.
the two spider gears were both broken into 4-5 bits each and luckly we were able to reconstruct most of them both out of the bits still in the housing.

the box looked pretty clean on the inside so im hoping not too much damage was done to the internals as it has only done 4500km scince a full rebuild.

the reason i feel that it was going from rwd to 4wd and back again was that because the bits of gear were still pretty much intact they were getting caught up and basically locking the center diff solid.

when it was locked solid it wemt back to 4wd then they would free themselves and it would go rwd.

just heard back from the workshop the box is all apart and there is some damage on the pin wheel, weather this was from the debris floating round or something else im not too sure as i will go down and look at the box tomorrow.

Photo0028.jpg

IMG_0986.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

icurunnin

to bad we cant convert these things to rwd easily. I would love to have a RWD galant, but sure I would hate it in the rain.

H05TYL

^^ er, we can. Weld centre diff --> remove front axles --> do skids.

click
click

turbowop

One guy is barefoot and another is wearing flip flops while working on a transmission. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

H05TYL

are you laughing at our patented safety shoes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting NZ VR4 RS:
but the 2wd was so much fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i was looking at the 4-Spider Center Diff on your site or the Premium AWD DSM Transmission Rebuild.

do you ship to New Zealand

The guy(s) at Jack's Transmissions do great work. But back on topic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif wow...

i guess time to send a core off to ol shep... lol..

but that was a sweet vid, you got yourself a quick little car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned