The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

compressor blades flaked apart...

Spyder

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gifI replaced my turbo and took it for a little spin. Well it looks as though something got into the turbo and broke the leading edge of all the blades on the compressor off. I was under boost when it happened. Just the edge. The car runs still and there is no smoke.

Should I take the head off and check to be sure? Or is it possible the parts just blew clean through the engine and out the exhaust. I have a complete 3" with no cat so if it did get through the engine, it shouldn't get caught anywhere.

Ideas?

Thanks.

GVR-4

I wouldn't bother taking the head off. If it made it through the compressor wheel and then through the turbine wheel, it's probably gone through. I would just do a compression test to make sure the engine is ok and start saving for a new turbo.

JNR

Do you think the fragments got caught in the intercooler and/or sitting in the pipes (especially before the IC restriction) or if it made it past, even the intake manifold plenum? Sounds silly, but run a vaccum with appropriate attachment from different ends of the pipe(s), etc.; just be sure to (mostly) seal the opposing end, to create good sucking.

Last edited:

H05TYL

It's quite likely any larger pieces will be caught in the intercooler, so i'd take it off and blow it outwith compressed air (from the cold side).
Other than that, a compression test and if it's all good, it's all good.

Barnes

Somehow the nut on my buddy's 14b compressor fell off, and was eaten by the compressor. We never found it. Engine was a-okay though. Go figure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Terry Posten

Unless the metal is really small, I bet it is in the input side of the intercooler.

A compression test (as already posted) will confirm if the valve seats are OK.

Terry Posten

Oh yeah, while you got it apart, check the throttlebody blade screws just to be safe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Spyder

Yeah I heard about your mishap from my brother. I will check that. I believe the pieces were small. I still have the stock inter cooler and piping on the car so I will surely take it off and check it out first.

Thanks for the tips guys! You all rock.

Terry Posten

If your still rockin the stock core, then the pieces are still before the cooler.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts