The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Power steering leaky rack question...

SleepinGVR4

Some how the boot on my PS rack got completely twisted and tore a big hole in itself. (The inner tie-rod boot.) Would this cause the rack to leak like you wouldn't believe?

Barnes

No. Mine has been torn to hell for a long time, no leaks. Just a rusty inner tie rod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barnes

Well... It could be that the seal inside was bad, and the boot was just keeping the fluid in place. Since the boot tore, voile, all the fluid can now drain.

SleepinGVR4

AWS and lines were completely removed by a previous owner. And I think the Galant rack was replaced by a TEL rack. And the more I look at it the more I believe its the seals.

just replace the rack its easier. Its probbly one of the hardlines that goto the rack. That is where mine was. If you have your motor out it is easy but what a pain in the ass changing the rack out with the motor in, nevermind just trying to replace the hardlines. I went with a dsm rack that does'nt even have the hook-ups for the aws.

SleepinGVR4

I found the leak. There is a tiny hole behind the inner tie rod on the passenger side. Its just pouring out of this hole. Seals need replaced correct?

I have a spare rack but its out of my other galant that still has AWS. Should I get a kit to seal the leak on the DSM rack or block off the AWS rack and install that?

From looking at the FSM it doesn't look like you can just replace that seal from the outside like you would an oil seal on the motor. Looks like the entire rack needs to be disassembled.

BoostedAWD91

sean i would either get another dsm rack or use ur old one and block the 4ws lines off. i think it would b alot easier and probably cheaper than rebuilding the other rack.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts